Arrowhead Help Needed Please!!!

tokens70

Apr 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, Explorer 2
Hello everyone, I have a couple of arrowheads I would like to basically figure out if they are REAL... or at least get some opinions on. My wife bought the two the other day from some junk shop, and I have doubts that they are real:icon_scratch: I am, by no means, an experienced Native American artifact collector. I have never seen an arrowhead worked on one side, and flat/unworked on the other. The one on the left looks authentic to me (the lighter grey one). She was told they were found in Ohio, if that helps any:dontknow: Anyway, I would really appreciate any input one these. Thanks...Chris

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 255
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 230
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 204
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    302.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 244
Upvote 0

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
The flat one is a fake and the other maybe to if they were bought together. It has potential though.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me the on the top right looks kinda odd. Both look a little "fresh"/ Tony

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One good and one bad... The good one looks like maybe even indiana hornstone, but it does venture into ohio. Also, typically yes, rock shop arrowheads are flat on one side, chipped from a flake. But there are authentic ancient artifacts that are made from flakes so done always doubt them if u get them. It is always good to ask... Then you learn... And then you can teach someone else...8-)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most but not all artifacts in antique shops in my area are reproductions. Some know they are fake but some don't and sell them as real. You just have to know your area if you buy them. The one on the left looks good but the one on the right looks bad to me. In hand with a loop would be easier to tell.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that they are both recent reproductions. Also the flaking on the left one just does not look right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tokens70

tokens70

Apr 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, Explorer 2
Thanks guys!!! I really do appreciate all of your input on these. Like I said, I am not an avid collector, and know next to nothing about these:tongue3:
Thanks again:occasion14:...Chris

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one that is not flat is hornstone and it will not have much patina if any after thousands of years. The other one looks suspicious but I have seen many unifaced points and have found them as well. They hammered these things out pretty fast and it could have been made for a quick job and discarded. I think the hornstone one is good to much skill went into it and a faker likes to be perfect which it is not. The flat one is anyones guess. There is hardly any way to tell from a picture but we all try anyways.
This is the problem with buying.Especially with large collections. Most people who buy will have re pops in their collection but will never know it.No way to tell. That is another topic though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread