Arrowhead hunting at night?

arapahoscout

Sep 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have any of you ever searched for flint at night? Bear with me here, i have never tried this myself but seen the results.
When I was growing up back in southeast Iowa, some of my friends would put on head lights like the old miners lights and hit the recently plowed fields. They said that flint sparkles in the light. They would carry a bucket and pick up everything that gave that sparkle in the dark field and sort it the next day or when they would get home. They would come up with some great stuff. Never have seen or heard anyone talk about it since so I was wondering if anyone on here has tried it. Maybe with the more modern lights it may even be more effective.

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted at night quite a few times and have had some great success at it. As long as you take your time and go row by row you can find some pretty nice stuff. If you have a strong enough light it lights up wherever you are looking and lights it up very well. Plus, it's a lot cooler at night. The only drawback is the amount of bugs that fly around your light.

OP
OP
arapahoscout

arapahoscout

Sep 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know. I wasn't sure if those guys were just picking up every rock they seen, or if they were actually on to something. Never thought about the bugs, here in the mountains of Colorado, i would be mt.lion bait wandering around at night with a light and some beef jerky in my pocket. Lol.
It was good to see some of your collection in that other thread, those are some amazing points! One find like that and I would be on cloud nine for months.

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have to worry about mountain lions that have sharp claws and teeth.......I worry about gang members wearing red and blue carrying Sharp knives and 9mms

Johnathan Griswold

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to run with the apple dumpling gang...thats me on the left, we was hardcore

apple-dumpling-gang.jpg

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
people say i look just like don knotts ...i don't see it myself though

OP
OP
arapahoscout

arapahoscout

Sep 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I will run my risk with mountain lions, they have more class than those gangbangers.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I've hunted at night before. Like SRV said you need a strong like and go a bit slower than normal. I don't remember the flint sparkling or anything. In fact the shadows made it more difficult to see than normal, for me at least.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the best time I have found to go for a night hunt is after a rain. that washes off the flint and helps a lot with the shadows since the dirt doesn't glisten

StevefromMissouri

Jun 26, 2008
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought a Petzl Ultra Headlamp in May and have creek hunted three times with it. It works for smaller creeks, but for really large creeks, it would be overwhelming and take too long. I like it. With my job and kids, night is the only time I can hunt at times. I've found at least one complete point with it each time I've hunted. My next step will be to get the three hour battery so I'll not be rushed by the 1 1/2 hour battery that came with it. It really works well in still water--better than sunlight as the sun many times reflects back in your eyes. I also dug with it once and it worked GREAT for that, too.

coloradocav1

Jan 4, 2016
colorado
Detector(s) used
mxt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yeah, you don't know adventure until you hunt Denver area gravel bars, day or night it's always full of adventure. found a scraper less than a foot away from a hypodermic needle once.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions