What's new

Artillery pin?

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2006
Messages
2,429
Reaction score
697
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
My friend Bill B found this pin yesterday ~ it's about 2 inches wide and an inch tall.

What do we know about this thing?! What era is it from?
 

Attachments

  • BillbarnsCANNONSfront.webp
    BillbarnsCANNONSfront.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 226
  • BillbarnsCANNONSback.webp
    BillbarnsCANNONSback.webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 213
Well, I'll tell you what it looks like...

It *looks* like a CW-Era Artillery Officer's Hat Insignia.   :o

But the style of pin back leads me to believe it is WWI collar brass:


http://www.pandkmilitaryantiques.com/us.htm


Are there solder marks where the bottom bar has broken off?
 

Attachments

  • cannons.webp
    cannons.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 214
Upvote 0
Where was it found and what type of military activity was going on in the area?

I tend to agree it looks like a collar brass that may be missing the #'s. There was a lot of coastal artillery activity around Oregon from the CW to the end of WW2 if that's where it was found. That style of brass was being used from the late 1800's to post WW1.

I'll be honest, I wish I had found it instead of your friend.
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
Well, I'll tell you what it looks like...

It *looks* like a CW-Era Artillery Officer's Hat Insignia. :o

But the style of pin back leads me to believe it is WWI collar brass:


http://www.pandkmilitaryantiques.com/us.htm


Are there solder marks where the bottom bar has broken off?

Here is one on the bay,All of the CW Era hat pins that I have seen on the net has 4 metal loops
on the back like a box plate has.So I have to agree with BB that the style of pin on the back has me
concerned about the age.
I have to say that it is still a very good find,Congrats to your friend.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CROSSED-CANNNON...193391153QQihZ022QQcategoryZ136QQcmdZViewItem

fortbball9
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Yes, it's a beautiful find in as nice condition as one could ever hope for. Great display piece. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom