What's new

Artillery....ready...aim...fire (3 Shells in 1 day!)

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2011
Messages
1,677
Reaction score
2,475
Golden Thread
5
Location
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I jumped inland for a day yesterday and met up with a new fella to check out a spot that I felt confident would produce some artillery...unfortunately...I was so wrong. I ended up digging a civil war canteen spout at that site and that was it, the site was almost void of all relics. At least the guy I was hunting with now had a land spot to go back and check as he ended up getting permission to the site for a variety of reasons (relic hunting and animal hunting).

With half a day left, we decided to head a few miles down the road to another site the two of us have both thought of checking, but neither had explored. I was hoping for more camp related items here, though I know there was a skirmish with some artillery that occurred in the area. It started off almost on script with a fired .69 ball (can't tell if it is case shot or musket ball) and then a beautiful dropped merrill carbine bullet. I thought "hmmm, ok should be a little bit here." As we began to work the site, eventually we got into a bunch of misc. iron when finally, almost towards the end of the trip I had a mixed deep tone. Reading shell one way and flat iron the next, I dug it anyways. A short time later I was holding a nice Schenkl artillery shell, still with the ring on the rear (most of it) to hold the paper mache sabot in place. Upon checking the hole, there was a barrel band also in the vicinity, absolutely the cause of the mixed tone A short time later, a nice 10lb parrott surfaced, also deep, but more noticeable. A little while afterwards, and after my buddy had a scare (dug two that should have been shells, that ended up being junk) I recovered parrott #2 (shell #3) laying virtually on top of the rocks (still has vegetation growing on it). The Schenkl is a nice CS variety with the studs on the ends to hold a wooden sabot on the shell (rather than a paper that US used) Finding any artillery is difficult these days, three in a day is one to remember.

Not a bad day out and I am sure more are in the future.

HH

Dan
 

Attachments

  • 1a.webp
    1a.webp
    56.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 1b.webp
    1b.webp
    81.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 1c.webp
    1c.webp
    270.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 1d.webp
    1d.webp
    159 KB · Views: 145
  • 1e.webp
    1e.webp
    133.3 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Upvote 36
Nice trifecta man! You've really gotten out in the water quite a few times this summer, and it's really paying off.

Thanks man...believe it or not, I am actually behind last year's trip # and that was with an expecting mother...no worries I am making up for lost time. Super low tides are around the corner.
 
Wow Dan, that is an incredible hunt. I don't know what it feels like to find one, yet alone three in one trip. ha Will you do electrolysis on them?

Yes will run them through electrolysis and should clean up nicely!
 
Wow Dan - what a super great hunt! I got to WITNESS a shell dug one time, but that's as close as I've gotten. Well hunting near that same find (where the shell was) maybe 100 yards away, I got a GIANT signal and after 2 feet, just KNEW I had my first shell. It was a log chain. Yep. Two feet down. Anyway, just fantastic. As rare as that CS shell is, I think the coolest thrill ever would be finding a parrot on TOP of the ground. That is just beyond cool. I look forward to seeing the several more you are BOUND to find there. Just killer man.
 
Wow Dan - what a super great hunt! I got to WITNESS a shell dug one time, but that's as close as I've gotten. Well hunting near that same find (where the shell was) maybe 100 yards away, I got a GIANT signal and after 2 feet, just KNEW I had my first shell. It was a log chain. Yep. Two feet down. Anyway, just fantastic. As rare as that CS shell is, I think the coolest thrill ever would be finding a parrot on TOP of the ground. That is just beyond cool. I look forward to seeing the several more you are BOUND to find there. Just killer man.

Thanks man - i've been fortunate to find my fair share of those guys and they are exciting when you get in a spot like that.
 
Killer hunt Dan. 3 Different shells is quite a feat. Good luck with the rest of the water season.
-Evan
 
Those are some fantastic finds. Absolutely great.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom