What's new

Artillery Shell Fuze?

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2007
Messages
2,917
Reaction score
85
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I always wonder about things I dig in parks. Never know what the groundskeepers use or have thrown away. Found this by 3rd base on an old softball field in an old park in NC. Looks like examples of Artillery Fuzes I've seen but having never dug one I have no idea what they really look/feel like. Seems to be brass, solid, and old (patina is green).

Thanks,

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • PICT0001.webp
    PICT0001.webp
    37.8 KB · Views: 355
  • Fuze1.webp
    Fuze1.webp
    48.7 KB · Views: 344
The part that looks like it is threaded is to coarse for a fuze even the older ones. Could you post another pic of the "threaded" end? Is also appears to have holes from deterioration. Is it thin and hollow? I'm thinking some type of expansion chamber, condenser or heat sink???
 
Upvote 0
grndfisher said:
The part that looks like it is threaded is to coarse for a fuze even the older ones. Could you post another pic of the "threaded" end? Is also appears to have holes from deterioration. Is it thin and hollow? I'm thinking some type of expansion chamber, condenser or heat sink???



i was going to say that any shell fragments i have found, the thread is very fine!

could it be from sprinklers?
 
Upvote 0
dozer dan said:
adjustment knob for a crescent wrench




i think your right!!!
 
Upvote 0
I have no idea so all the suggestions are good. Here are some pictures of the ends as well as some pictures of some course and fine threaded fuzes for sale. Seems pretty thick but hard to tell. Just needing to know if it gets tossed or kept.

Thanks,

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • ForSaleFuze1.webp
    ForSaleFuze1.webp
    40.1 KB · Views: 329
  • ForSaleFuze2.webp
    ForSaleFuze2.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 313
  • ForSaleFuze3.webp
    ForSaleFuze3.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 319
  • FuzeEnd.webp
    FuzeEnd.webp
    38 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0
soooooooo, just how fast do you want a worm to go?
 
Upvote 0
Daryl,

In the last pic you posted of your find, is that wood thats in the end of it?
 
Upvote 0
shaun7 said:
dozer dan said:
adjustment knob for a crescent wrench




i think your right!!!
An adjustment knob for a Crescent wrench would have to be hollow because a bolt goes through it. Does the hole go all the way through, Daryl? It would have to be an awful large wrench. Also the ones Ive seen were steel. Even though it resembles it, I would have to say no.

BioProfessor said:
Seems to be brass, solid, and old (patina is green).

Thanks,

Daryl
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom