What's new

asking for opinion of effigy pots

larson1951

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2009
Messages
4,974
Reaction score
3,894
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
saw these at a show today
i thought if these were real why would the seller have one of them way up on top of a display case (over 6 feet above the floor)
i asked the seller if he had any provenance and he told me this:
'i dont need to get that much for them just cuz i have them marked at 495 bucks each' IMG_1765.webpIMG_1767.webpIMG_1761.webpIMG_1763.webpIMG_1764.webp
'these came from a well known collector and i can show you his obituary'
what is your opinion?
 
Upvote 0
Anyone you know an expert you could take along? If not be careful.
 
I'm no expert on pottery, but that piece doesn't look very functional.

It looks more like art work.....probably modern. Whole pots in Ohio are rare, but the ones I've seen are very simple and functional.

I guess I assumed you were talking prehistoric.
 
Steve, I don't see any reason to think they are ancient. Could be tourist items, they could be old pots that have been restored to include the ornamentation, or they could be modern fakes. The two in the case look a little bit like some styles from Latin America, but don't really match anything specific.

Joshua
 
so.....the guy has multiple very similar examples of a pot you have not seen before...all in great condition?...and he is selling these museum pieces for pennies on the dollar?...hmmmmmmm
 
Steve, those are indeed modern reproductions. I think I like the "big bird" effigy...I'd give him $4.95 for it, lol.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom