Asking permission to metal detect private property

Plug cutter

Aug 1, 2012
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Pro pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello I am 13 and ready to ask for permission to metal detect on private property. and I was wondering that if I find gold, silver, or plat is the home owner gonna try and take a part off it? Or should I before i start should I ask them if they have everlost any valuable iteams so I can help them find it, so I would get to keep the rest.

Upvote 0

DialTForTreasure

Jan 7, 2013
I'm halfway with you & halfway with others. Our word is our bond & in the early days we needed no written agreements, however we now have several signed contracts & these in itself help get others.
I'd like to think people are good for their word too. Problem is, Im in sales. Also, I dunno what it's like in the UK, but over here people sue McDonalds for making them fat or because hot coffee wasn't labeled with a warning that it was hot.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will give you a clue, its the first rule of detecting, get the landowner's permission.:sadsmiley:
It happened twice, and I thought they were the land owners, I didn't find out till I was asked to stop. The first one I had been going to for nearly three years, the second was just three visits.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happened twice, and I thought they were the land owners, I didn't find out till I was asked to stop. The first one I had been going to for nearly three years, the second was just three visits.

OK, it happen to us once as well, shame the tenants are not as honest as us. Just shows the reverse of what we had been discussing. It sucks, does it not? When someone lies to you? We have learnt to ask if you 'ARE THE LANDOWNER'?

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, it happen to us once as well, shame the tenants are not as honest as us. Just shows the reverse of what we had been discussing. It sucks, does it not? When someone lies to you?
The second farm was the brother of our villa farm, his farm joined his brothers, but he had not bought his land from Castle Howard Estates...were as the Villa farmer had, the outher land was also Castle howard land as well, I think the local villages had complained, no idea why...but we got the boot.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The second farm was the brother of our villa farm, his farm joined his brothers, but he had not bought his land from Castle Howard Estates...were as the Villa farmer had, the outher land was also Castle howard land as well, I think the local villages had complained, no idea why...but we got the boot.

Ok, that is understandable, you can't make a 100% land search at the land registry for every wantabe owner. So in that situation, I recall my laugh, because it is easy to believe the guy in the big farm house.

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
The year was 1976 lived in Salt Lake at the time I was about this kids age, we lived in a house from the 20's. A man with a machine asked my mom if he could detect the yard. I was thinkin what? Detect for radiation? Watched him for a while after my mom said yes, before he left he came to my mom and dropped a ring in her hand, it was my grandmothers wedding ring she lost years back before she died a few years earlier. My mom started crying and I seen how happy she was to have this rememberance of her mom... this was my first impression of a metal detectorist and I guess I base my way of detecting off of him. All I can say im glad he chose to release a great find that yes he worked for and yes im sure the monetary value was high but he realized that it might be more valuable to us. Did my my mom tell all our neighbors, yep and lets just say im sure the man left that week with more finds than he originally intended. Karma goes full circle. Good and bad.

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The year was 1976 lived in Salt Lake at the time I was about this kids age, we lived in a house from the 20's. A man with a machine asked my mom if he could detect the yard. I was thinkin what? Detect for radiation? Watched him for a while after my mom said yes, before he left he came to my mom and dropped a ring in her hand, it was my grandmothers wedding ring she lost years back before she died a few years earlier. My mom started crying and I seen how happy she was to have this rememberance of her mom... this was my first impression of a metal detectorist and I guess I base my way of detecting off of him. All I can say im glad he chose to release a great find that yes he worked for and yes im sure the monetary value was high but he realized that it might be more valuable to us. Did my my mom tell all our neighbors, yep and lets just say im sure the man left that week with more finds than he originally intended. Karma goes full circle. Good and bad.

That is a good story and I think most of us would do the same as this man did. We have to use common since when we hunt in other people's yard and should recognize when something like a ring has been lost. As for coins I don't think they would have to much sentimental value so I would not be to eager to give up coins I found. But something like a ring I think I would ask if any thing had been lost if I found it in someone's yard. We just to need to use good judgement in our actions.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cru if you give someone something is that not the same thing as them taking it?
I mean if you no longer possess it, it is someone elses property, right?
My opinion is mine and everyone elses is there opinion and I respect theirs
so try to see my point of view and if you cant dont comment on my post Cru.
Thank you RichInPa.

Last edited:

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have alot of very old antebellum homes in my area. I alway's tell the home owner if I find anything that ties itself to the home it is theirs, like a bell or cotten scales, anything historic. I also talk out a verbal contract( who gets what) and then type it up and each party signs it. That it is my permission slip and there is no crossed wires, and always show respect for other folks property, sometimes word of mouth will get you another site to hunt.:icon_thumleft:It is always good to see someone young starting to MD.HH:hello2:

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every landowner is different, it all depends on how they feel about you, some say yes, some say no. .. the guy who wants to see all your finds and pick out the good ones for himself, may also lead you to another guy who says "no thanks, you keep it all. thier all different. you really should show them everything if they ask though, its thier land, and your removing thier items. ...ok, the rule is you can hide one seated dime for every 5 you find :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread