Asking permission to metal detect private property

Plug cutter

Aug 1, 2012
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Pro pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello I am 13 and ready to ask for permission to metal detect on private property. and I was wondering that if I find gold, silver, or plat is the home owner gonna try and take a part off it? Or should I before i start should I ask them if they have everlost any valuable iteams so I can help them find it, so I would get to keep the rest.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Delete..never?..but you certainly twist posts, then scream blue murder..

This is my last post on here, I have NO NEED to twist anything. My word is simple & truthful, but only those that wish to listern, will, I can't help those that think my words are twisted. HH

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad read this & wanted to add his thouhts, because he is not a member see the email below:

'I think you can let Silver Searcher know from Cru’Dad that there is a clear difference between items you may collect through purchasing and the large quantity we get from detecting. As I am not a member please post this e-mail confirming that all your TN posted finds are those that have been dug from the ground by us as the result of the style of agreements we make with landowners or householders. It has been a long learning process over years and is very different to US yard hunting situations – most of our arrangements are verbal (our word is our bond) and not the written agreement (which is used for the big land owners). In the UK context it helps defray any arguments about Treasure Trove or landowners rights to the whole value of a find. Furthermore, many of the banner or significant valued finds made have actually cost us substantial sums in honour of giving landowners their 50% realisable sale value on the day – some landowners have opted for us to retain such items without payment. The net result, after more than 25 years of this type of operation, is we have a highly valuable reputation amongst a large number of landowners, archaeologists, civic leaders and historical societies. Our total of dug recorded finds now stands at 10,759 as at today – none of them bought or found by other people (those that detect with us take theirs away with them) and over 25,000 acres of private land with all types of historical sites from Bronze age to Georgian. Our competitors who are less scrupulous or frankly Night Hawk the land are our best sale’s people as owners now seek us out to search where such people have been spotted. Each of us makes a choice to operate within own codes and as may best fit the local circumstances with the property owners involved – our Cru Team style is not right for all circumstances nor is it necessarily affordable for many. For sure, you need to be rewarded for your efforts in digging and researching – most landowners recognise that but individual householders are as diverse in views as a population will be. Ultimately, being open on what you find and sharing in good fortune with a landowner/property owner is a personal choice – for us it has brought fantastic rewards and pleasure. It is our recommendation because it works 90% of the time, we get to keep 75% of the goodies and we have more unsearched land hunting opportunities than can be covered in our lifetimes.'
I cannot disagree with 90% of what your Dad says. Yours is a different situation in your country. You have the privilege, also to find artifacts much older, more valuable, & much more numerous to ours (in most cases). It often has archaeological significance as well. I'm guessing your technique has the added benefit of refusing to return to a property in which the landowner seized all of your finds until a better agreement has been reached that benefits you both. Ours is more of a yard-by-yard type of situation (at least in my area) which kind of an "all or nothing" situation often times. Your Dad sounds like a wise man. Best of luck to you both!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot disagree with 90% of what your Dad says. Yours is a different situation in your country. You have the privilege, also to find artifacts much older, more valuable, & much more numerous to ours (in most cases). It often has archaeological significance as well. I'm guessing your technique has the added benefit of refusing to return to a property in which the landowner seized all of your finds until a better agreement has been reached that benefits you both. Ours is more of a yard-by-yard type of situation (at least in my area) which kind of an "all or nothing" situation often times. Your Dad sounds like a wise man. Best of luck to you both!

What are you not getting about what we say? Am I speaking alien? Maybe US landowner attitudes are different, because we have NEVER had a problem with any landowner (none have tried to seize anything), & we have loads. None have asked for anything more than we are WILLING to give. It is THAT simple.

Last edited:

DialTForTreasure

Jan 7, 2013
What makes them yours as opposed to the land owners? For example, let's say you find a cache, and you know full well the land has been in the family several generations. If it was buried by a now deceased family member, does that belong to you just because they didn't know it was there? Seems a bit unethical to me if you say yes....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What makes them yours as opposed to the land owners? For example, let's say you find a cache, and you know full well the land has been in the family several generations. If it was buried by a now deceased family member, does that belong to you just because they didn't know it was there? Seems a bit unethical to me if you say yes....

I'm glad I'm not banging my head against a brickwall.:occasion14: I was beginning to think I spoke another language.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone sensible explain why you feel the need to hide the facts from the owners? (I really would like to understand your concerns?)

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I addressed that in my post, did I not? I said I would let the landowner know if I happened upon such a cache.
Crusader, I was trying to pay a compliment. I understand your ire is up right now from bickering with others. I'm not bickering, just stating that we do things differently, for different reasons than you do there. I don't think it's a bad thing. You cannot assume the moral high-ground simply because you disagree with our practices. I have pretty much always volunteered to show my finds to the landowners, but I really haven't found anything "amazing" either.. I'd like to think I would show if I did find something great, but most times, they just don't want to be bothered.
I'm not disrespecting or disagreeing with your practices. Just saying mine are different.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I addressed that in my post, did I not? I said I would let the landowner know if I happened upon such a cache.
Crusader, I was trying to pay a compliment. I understand your ire is up right now from bickering with others. I'm not bickering, just stating that we do things differently, for different reasons than you do there. I don't think it's a bad thing. You cannot assume the moral high-ground simply because you disagree with our practices. I have pretty much always volunteered to show my finds to the landowners, but I really haven't found anything "amazing" either.. I'd like to think I would show if I did find something great, but most times, they just don't want to be bothered.
I'm not disrespecting or disagreeing with your practices. Just saying mine are different.

OK respect that. So, what I think I hear is, if you were in my situation you would do the same thing? Correct?

DialTForTreasure

Jan 7, 2013
If I were to guess, I'd say it's generally because the ones who don't share their finds got burned once or twice. It's understandable they'd be leery, which is why I prefer the use of signed agreements. In other cases, it's because they're out to make a profit. Also understandable.

Again, that's why I prefer a written agreement. It takes 30 seconds to write up one. If they opt not to sign it, i ask them why. If it's a good reason (ie "i don't care as long as you fill the holes") i go to work. If their reason seems a bit shifty, i thank them for their time and leave.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were to guess, I'd say it's generally because the ones who don't share their finds got burned once or twice. It's understandable they'd be leery, which is why I prefer the use of signed agreements. In other cases, it's because they're out to make a profit. Also understandable.

Again, that's why I prefer a written agreement. It takes 30 seconds to write up one. If they opt not to sign it, i ask them why. If it's a good reason (ie "i don't care as long as you fill the holes") i go to work. If their reason seems a bit shifty, i thank them for their time and leave.

I'm halfway with you & halfway with others. Our word is our bond & in the early days we needed no written agreements, however we now have several signed contracts & these in itself help get others. I have never had to learn from a burnt experience, although the closest we came is our first Bronze Age axe find, which the owner wanted. We sugested that an exact copy be made for them & the local Museum (using traditional Bronze age technology), at our cost & the problem was solved, ie. we kept the find, at a cost us only £70.

DialTForTreasure

Jan 7, 2013

I was using the cache as an example. Why do you draw a distinction between that and say, a five coin spill?
To me, it seems if they are kind enough to let you search their property, you should have the courtesy to show what you found.
Again, that's just my opinion. You're welcome to do things the way you want. If it were my property, and you didn't show me what you found, or i thought you were hiding something, i wouldnt let you or anyone else back.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been going to the same farmers for years, never has a issue of what I found over the years come up, most don't show any interest, some a little, a nice drink at Christmas and there over the moon...as I said before, each to there own, do what you do, and let outhers do what they do...don't preach, and say it's wrong. And by the way, I proberbly have the most search land than most, never have I lost land, apart when it was estate owned, and the tennant was asked to stop me from detecting, by the estate land owner....because it was against estate rules.

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been going to the same farmers for years, never has a issue of what I found over the years come up, most don't show any interest, some a little, a nice drink at Christmas and there over the moon...as I said before, each to there own, do what you do, and let outhers do what they do...don't preach, and say it's wrong. And by the way, I proberbly have the most search land than most, never have I lost land, apart when it was estate owned, and the tennant was asked to stop me from detecting, by the estate land owner....because it was against estate rules.

SS

:laughing9: Do you realise what you just said?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I predict this thread will not last long at all, and it would be a shame for the 13 yr. old OP.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I predict this thread will not last long at all, and it would be a shame for the 13 yr. old OP.

Not really, because even a 13 year old has enough sense to pick out the difference between wrong & right, no shame here.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SS

I will give you a clue, its the first rule of detecting, get the landowner's permission.:sadsmiley:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread