What's new

Assay Cupels/Crucibles

sanjuangold

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 1, 2009
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hello all. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about metal detecting old assay cupels/crucibles? Or, does anyone know what material the Spanish used for these items? No, I have not read De Re Metallica. Or, should they even detect. I understand that the common material is usually bone ash, but I've also heard of graphite being used. Just not sure if the absorbed lead would be enough to detect.

I have found some material fragments of what appears to be cupel lids (?), with the appearance of graphite (weight-streak-etc.), while looking/detecting around old Spanish camp sites. I am out of country and do not have access to the items or I would post a pic, maybe later.

Thanks for any info.
 
HIO Sanju, having worked as an assayer in remote regions of Mexico, and having read over and over De Re Metalica, Bone ash is the basic and preferred materiel.

I have no idea how many skeletons of cows that I have burned in a fire for my materials. Yes, I made my own moulds and rams for the bone ash, although I must admit, that when bones were scarce I used small amounts of cement.

I always had to referee each cupel lot to see if any contaminants were added. There were no lids in cupeling or scorifing.

The lead is a fair amount , depending upon your sample. It will always turn the ash yellow. and the cupel will be heavy, but it is not metallic lead. I have no idea if it will react with a detector.

I have never heard of the Spanish using graphite.

Feel free to ask or em me for whatever information that I may provide..

Don Jose de La Mancha
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom