Asst. stuff from the last couple weeks.

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
I finally got my camera working (it got soaked on the way home from JerDFX's place in PA when my camelbak bladder broke and spilled 2L on it :-\) so I thought that some of you might enjoy a few pics of the finds from some recent short hunts. One hunt was with Mirage to a place that was a pay-to-swim lake from (I am guessing here) the 50's to the 70's and has produced two of the Mercs and the war nickle pictured here as well as the darkened silver Rosie. The other stuff is from all-over. The small Johnson Phenolax Wafers bottle I especially like. The "SRM" engraved token appears to be made from an old Canadian half-dime (barely visible on one side). Plenty of wheats (I think there are around 30 scattered in the pic, but no key dates (too lazy to even clean them lately). Also pictured is a cool (the second I have dug) medicine bottle with an engraved copper casing). Can't be too old as the top is threaded. The sterling earring with the inlaid mother of pearl is from a sledding hill nearby. It cleaned up great!
I know it's a pile of confusion, but hey,.....that's the way my life has felt lately and the pics accurately reflect that :D

Pic of one day's dig at the swimming hole. dumped out.
DSCF1223.JPG
closeup of uncleaned 43 Merc
DSCF1225.JPG
finds for the last few weeks (bigger silver has eluded me lately)
DSCF1239.JPG
a bit closer for clarity!
DSCF1240.JPG

HH all.

Upvote 0

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan,

Glad to see you posting.
I've been looking forward to a good Danimal detecting story.

Congratulations on your finds.
Collectively they make for a real nice picture.

Keep up the good work!!

JCH

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
gypsyheart said:
Very nice....isnt it so great to be hunting that you dont have time to clean your SUV? :)

Gypsy (and others)...yes, I admit that I haven't been keeping my Element clean like I should. It seems that even when I DO clean it out it only takes one or two hunts to have the rear end filled with junk and dirt again. The Element has all these nooks and pockets built into the dash and elsewhere too...ALL are filled with dirty wheats, assorted tokens...doo dads and s*&t like that lol. People do have fun going through the stuff when they are in my truck though!

As to the Doy comments about the "Ace" logo on the side of the DFX...it was done as a joke earlier this year for the DFXOnly hunt and I just kept it. Some of my 2006 pictures and story were used in Garrett's 2007 catalog and Vaughn Garrett tried hard to keep me using a Garrett...and I went with a DFX. I tried a GTI2500 and felt the DFX offered more features. I did find a lot of great stuff with my Ace, so the DFX became the ACE 350 (like that made ANY sense ::))

Dan

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
KirkPA said:
My brother and I were chatting tonight and we both came to the same thought...LMAO...that "Ace" writing on that DFX is a disgrace to the White's metal detecting company. Just our 2-cent piece worth of advice! :-X :D

To be honest, if I had the ca-ash, I'd probably be playing with a Minelab right now. Not that I think I have "mastered" the DFX, but I have learned to understand it well and understand it's settings and what it's capable of....
To be brutally honest...it's well overdue for both Whites and Garrett to release new machines to compete...using whatever technology they can muster. Even lots of Minelab fans were frustrated with the Explorer SE being just a "reworked" Explorer and not any better.
Fact is, if you are willing to put up with the Explorer's needed slower pace and it's balance (slightly less weight than a DFX but...to me...less balanced) I do think it more accurately ID's at greater depth than any Whites. There are things I have learned you can do with a DFX to read that there IS a target at equal depth...but you lose any ability to REALLY tell what it is..and you must then use the REAL discrimination mode...you must dig the target. And...here's the kicker...by doing what you HAVE to do to get equal depth with a Whites (basically running in DC All-Metal), you can get the same depth from the ACE250 in pinpoint!!
All the DFX's bells and whistles really do is allow GREAT target ID at mid-depth ranges. And at THOSE depths...a LOT of machines are very capable.
I would also like a Fisher CZ-3D to play with.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Danimal said:
KirkPA said:
My brother and I were chatting tonight and we both came to the same thought...LMAO...that "Ace" writing on that DFX is a disgrace to the White's metal detecting company. Just our 2-cent piece worth of advice! :-X :D

To be honest, if I had the ca-ash, I'd probably be playing with a Minelab right now. Not that I think I have "mastered" the DFX, but I have learned to understand it well and understand it's settings and what it's capable of....
To be brutally honest...it's well overdue for both Whites and Garrett to release new machines to compete...using whatever technology they can muster. Even lots of Minelab fans were frustrated with the Explorer SE being just a "reworked" Explorer and not any better.
Fact is, if you are willing to put up with the Explorer's needed slower pace and it's balance (slightly less weight than a DFX but...to me...less balanced) I do think it more accurately ID's at greater depth than any Whites. There are things I have learned you can do with a DFX to read that there IS a target at equal depth...but you lose any ability to REALLY tell what it is..and you must then use the REAL discrimination mode...you must dig the target. And...here's the kicker...by doing what you HAVE to do to get equal depth with a Whites (basically running in DC All-Metal), you can get the same depth from the ACE250 in pinpoint!!
All the DFX's bells and whistles really do is allow GREAT target ID at mid-depth ranges. And at THOSE depths...a LOT of machines are very capable.
I would also like a Fisher CZ-3D to play with.

Once again, it is a disgrace to the White's company to even mention the ACE is capable of challenging the DFX in depth. Come on, dude, now that is just kid chat. In all reality, no WAY the ACE can compete with the high quality White's machines, such as the MXT, XLT, Pro XL, etc. Put an ACE user in a SUPER trashy site and the dude will be walking around confused, along with digging massive, gaping holes due to the inaccurate pinpoint feature.

Overall, the ACE is a great beginner's detector, but not suitable for a PRO in a relic field! :)

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
KirkPA said:
Once again, it is a disgrace to the White's company to even mention the ACE is capable of challenging the DFX in depth. Come on, dude, now that is just kid chat. In all reality, no WAY the ACE can compete with the high quality White's machines, such as the MXT, XLT, Pro XL, etc. Put an ACE user in a SUPER trashy site and the dude will be walking around confused, along with digging massive, gaping holes due to the inaccurate pinpoint feature.

Overall, the ACE is a great beginner's detector, but not suitable for a PRO in a relic field! :)

Once again, you either didn't listen and/or only read or saw what you wanted to see Doy.

I said the ACE...in pinpoint (DC)... can go as deep as the DFX..... IN DC PINPOINT.

In discriminate AC mode, whether running 3kHz, 15 or dual the DFX punches MUCH deeper than the ACE.

Do you understand the basic concepts behind VLF??

oh yeah...and added after posting...your comment on the ACE250 not having accurate pinponting is actually kinda funny. Maybe that one comment alone says a lot more about YOUR abilities than the ACE's lol

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Danimal said:
KirkPA said:

Once again, you either didn't listen and/or only read or saw what you wanted to see Doy.

I said the ACE...in pinpoint (DC)... can go as deep as the DFX..... IN DC PINPOINT.

In discriminate AC mode, whether running 3kHz, 15 or dual the DFX punches MUCH deeper than the ACE.

Do you understand the basic concepts behind VLF??

Once AGAIN, don't give me that b.s. on the ACE going as deep as the DFX in DC phase. NO way! That ACE machine can't compete either way, dude. I understand the concepts of finding coppas. Do you? ;) :D

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
KirkPA said:
Once AGAIN, don't give me that b.s. on the ACE going as deep as the DFX in DC phase. NO way! That ACE machine can't compete either way, dude. I understand the concepts of finding coppas. Do you? ;) :D

You and your brother have received accolades from myself and others on your researching skills. We all know you didn't MOVE to where you live because of detecting...it's where your parents placed you!! You should thank them for deciding PA was a good place to raise a family.

At the depth you claim those "coppas" came from, a $35 toy detector would have screamed like a trash can lid was there.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Danimal said:
KirkPA said:

You and your brother have received accolades from myself and others on your researching skills. We all know you didn't MOVE to where you live because of detecting...it's where your parents placed you!! You should thank them for deciding PA was a good place to raise a family.

At the depth you claim those "coppas" came from, a $35 toy detector would have screamed like a trash can lid was there.

Dan, you live in coppa haven as well...OHIO? Holy cow, dude, your state goes back to the early 1700s! No excuses...hit the books and find the Colonial sites. They are there, bud.

My Pro XL helped find me the coppas in the iron-infested areas. No toys, like the Ace, would have found them, but I pushed "Iron Mask" and coppas jumped out! LMAO!

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
KirkPA said:
Dan, you live in coppa haven as well...OHIO? Holy cow, dude, your state goes back to the early 1700s! No excuses...hit the books and find the Colonial sites. They are there, bud.

My Pro XL helped find me the coppas in the iron-infested areas. No toys, like the Ace, would have found them, but I pushed "Iron Mask" and coppas jumped out! LMAO!

First of all, I can't believe you are serious. I actually thought you were an intelligent kid. In DC the only real difference between ANY of the machines is the size of the coil and the resultant field it presents. Since discrim. isn't being used, no measurement of phase shift is needed. I have and still use both machines. I KNOW what they can do. I hunt OFTEN with Minelab users. I KNOW what they can do.

Ohio wasn't even a state until 1803. When MILLIONS of people lived and worked in PA (and were exchanging coins) they were fighting Indians in Ohio trying to settle the Western Reserve. And I NEVER said it was impossible to find coins from that era. I found a 1792 coin last year along with some other period relics in one spot. They are just few and far between COMPARED TO PA.

I truly am done with you. I thought a lot of what you said was in jest....but now I see how much you truly know and it says a LOT.

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Danimal said:
KirkPA said:

First of all, I can't believe you are serious. I actually thought you were an intelligent kid. In DC the only real difference between ANY of the machines is the size of the coil and the resultant field it presents. Since discrim. isn't being used, no measurement of phase shift is needed. I have and still use both machines. I KNOW what they can do. I hunt OFTEN with Minelab users. I KNOW what they can do.

Ohio wasn't even a state until 1803. When MILLIONS of people lived and worked in PA (and were exchanging coins) they were fighting Indians in Ohio trying to settle the Western Reserve. And I NEVER said it was impossible to find coins from that era. I found a 1792 coin last year along with some other period relics in one spot. They are just few and far between COMPARED TO PA.

I truly am done with you. I thought a lot of what you said was in jest....but now I see how much you truly know and it says a LOT.

Bud, it don't matter what features that nobody don't know other than what you know! DANIMAL, we CAN'T be AS knowledgeable AS you CAN!

As doy would state, "Bud buddy budster, I wish you an ever-ending quest for those coppas."

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
zoyboy said:
Bud, it don't matter what features that nobody don't know other than what you know! DANIMAL, we CAN'T be AS knowledgeable AS you CAN!

As doy would state, "Bud buddy budster, I wish you an ever-ending quest for those coppas."

WOW...that really insulted my intelligence Zoy. ::)
Cut from the same cloth.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Good stuff. A couple really nice marbles. The short hunts are the best. I enjoy them the most.

Life is very crazy here too with all the changes going on with school stuff, sports, music,etc.

PS - Nate has a youtube video of "his band". I'll pm you the link.

Bob

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Mirage said:
Good stuff. A couple really nice marbles. The short hunts are the best. I enjoy them the most.

Life is very crazy here too with all the changes going on with school stuff, sports, music,etc.

PS - Nate has a youtube video of "his band". I'll pm you the link.

Bob

What is his band's name?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread