Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
stonewall-jackson-mystery-solved-660x433.jpg

"Astronomers Solve 'Stonewall' Jackson Mystery
MAY 2, 2013 10:00 AM ET // BY CLARA MOSKOWITZ, SPACE.COM

Thanks to astronomy, the 19th century mystery surrounding the death of Confederate general "Stonewall" Jackson during the Civil War may finally be solved.

Lieutenant General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson was a major figure in the Civil War, second in command to Confederate general Robert E. Lee, when he was shot by friendly fire during the Battle of Chancellorsville on May 2, 1863. Shortly after that battle in northeastern Virginia, Jackson died of his wounds, leaving the Confederate army without one of its boldest military strategists just two months before the pivotal Battle of Gettysburg.

But exactly how Jackson's own troops could have mistaken him for the enemy has been unexplained until now.

Firsthand accounts of the Chancellorsville battle describe how Jackson kept his troops fighting into the night — a rarity at the time. That same day he had accomplished a major victory, squashing the Union's Twelfth Corps in a famous "flank attack." When the sun set that night and the sky darkened, Jackson pressed on, continuing the fighting by moonlight. It was then that a Confederate officer on the left wing of the 18th North Carolina regiment spotted Jackson and a group of riders coming toward him..." Astronomers Solve 'Stonewall' Jackson Mystery : Discovery News

To all who admire General Jackson, or are interested in the history, I'd urge you to read the full story.

storymaker-civil-war-photography-1104115-514x268.jpg

Upvote 0

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, Mr Surf
I am an old guy and been a Civil War buff for at least 40 years, I read this article when it came out and found it interesting as well...the article didn't mention a part of the story I was told many years ago, which I also read in an old library book. Gen. Jackson chose not to inform anyone that he and his entourage were going to scout the condition of the Union troops because he feared Union pickets or hidden Union Soldiers would overhear the plans, and some said after the war that the General didn't trust any of his subordinates to properly scout the Federals. Whilst he was gone the Southern pickets devised a password system because of the darkness and proximity of the two army's positions to one another. When the General and his men returned to the Southern lines they did not know the password was necessary. The Southern pickets called out, "Halt who goes there?"... and the proper response was to have been, "Friends of Jeff Davis and the Southern Confederacy!" Not knowing, one of Jackson's aides called back, "It's General Jackson and his entourage!" And as I was told, Major John Berry then called back. "Yes, and I am Abraham Lincoln...FIRE!" Have you heard this account? I tell this story a lot, and I always add that I hope it's true!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread