Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 800 nox and the max They are both great but as far as depth and ID and ease of use hands down the max My biggest advice is see what your Max ground balances at call garrett by the way no dealer has better service and tell them what your huntin like if its coins there tech peoole will give great advice I gb mostly around 93 he told me to adjust it uo by 8 wow works soooo good

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels are easy on the AT series! When you get a hit in the "pull tab range" -- pay CLOSE attention to the Target ID and scan at a 90-degree angle, and then back. If it jumps say 33, 53, 66 or the like, it's a pull-tab. If it stays consistent, 50-53 (usually 52), 95% of the time it's a nickel. If you listen closely (with headphones), nickels sound more "solid" than a pull-tab, which has a slight aluminum whine. Try it on some test targets and you'll see what I mean. I've found more nickels with my Garrett AT Gold than all other detectors I've ever owned in decades of detecting. Now my AT Max seems to be running a close 2'nd to my AT Gold on them. It is winning the quarter race, but that may be due to some help from another search coil, which I will get into in just a bit.

If you run into hot soil, manually ground balance, and do it often. Changing the ground balance numbers, by manually dropping them a few points can give added depth in some soils. If things are too chattery, back off the sensitivity if you have to, as sometimes less is more... I deal with it all the time in the gold fields. Another trick is to hold your coil slightly higher up off of the ground. Also realize that not all interference is ground-related; often it's RFI/EMI and that is usually easily solved with the frequency shift. (I've seen many YouTube videos where it was obvious that was all that the user needed, but they forgot about that feature, so don't make the same mistake.)

The backlight is a great aid in searching when the sun goes down. It's probably my favorite feature of the AT Max.

The headphones are also extremely nice. They have crisp audio and are very comfortable. They are a huge improvement over the prior ones. Garrett really nailed it with their new MS3 and MS2 (wired version of the MS3) headphones. I have been a die-hard Grey Ghost Ultimate fan, but honestly feel the new Garrett MS phones are just as good, at a fraction of the cost. That one surprised even me!

While I'm not a huge fan of discrimination, the ability to knock out .22 shell casings etc with notch discrimination can save much time, although, again, I rarely ever use more than iron discrimination.

I have searched trashy areas with a 5x8 DD coil on my AT Max and found things were missed with the 8.5x11 on my AT Pro, like a wheat penny between a bottle cap and a pull tab, a ring next to concrete, even a nickel right next to a pull tab. Clearly two different signals with the 5x8 and they were basically touching one another.

The next coil I tried, that most AT users probably haven't; it's the 6.5" x 9" concentric coil, but in some situations it really shines... It is heaver than the 5x8 DD, but is still easy to swing all day and it has very good ground coverage. The target ID is a little more stable than the DD. Pinpointing is a breeze, but I never had any problem pinpointing with DD coils, but for those who do, they would be well served by this coil. The first thing I noticed last year was that the response over a target is slower than the 5x8 DD coil, which I assume would be due to the wider detection field. Target separation isn't as good compared to the 5x8 DD, which is to be expected for the same reason. Interestingly, my quarter count has nearly doubled in the last year of testing this coil. So I can say wholeheartedly that 6.5" x 9" concentric coil LOVES quarters, hence why I call it the "quarter killer." And it sniffs out nickels even better than the DD I believe. Bottom line: This coil is most certainly a winner when it comes to areas infested with bottle caps, and it's probably the sleeper coil for the Garrett AT series.

I purchased my AT Gold before my AT Pro, so the audio on the AT Max is the language I was already used to. If you're going the other way (Pro to Max) there will be more of a learning curve. But I remember after about the first 80-100 hours with my AT Gold (and the same with the AT Max) I can hear when a zinc penny is corroded, as the audio gives me that information, and a LOT more... There is still a learning curve to the AT Max from the AT Gold however, but it's that way with any machine.

Once you master the language of the machine you will be amazed at not only how much you will find, but at how much the machine is telling you.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a video in the head to head section where I give my general honest overall opinion.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
The Max is my first Garrett...5x8DD and I Love It.

I'm happy I went with it over the Pro...Backlight, Wireless and in my opinion just an all around Great All Terrain Machine. Not that the Pro isn't a good unit... the backlight was a must for me.

Kace

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Max is my second Garrett. I started out with an ACE 250, and liked it a lot, but was looking for More Features like Better Audio, Ground Balance, Target ID, Wireless Headphones, in a similar platform that I was already familiar with running. The AT Max was a Natural Progression for me and I have enjoyed learning all the new features, and have easily mastered hunting with it. Its a Great Unit and can find even small targets surprisingly deep. Its a Great Coin Shooter too. My only regret so far, is that I cant swing it more each and every day..

OP
OP
SWING-N-DIG NY

SWING-N-DIG NY

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2012
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice thread started here, great to receive the information as well.
Thank you all, hope to read more on this AT Max on here!

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunt some very trashy areas "in the Hood". The trashy areas are very cumbersome and tiring mentally and physically. My AT Max is amazing at scooping out Nickels, every now then deep wheats and an occassional silver... still working on finding a Gold ring hmmm?

wmgeorge

Mar 4, 2013
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the NOX 600 I just received and its going back. Jumpy, hard to set and no target ID on the screen Like my Whites M6. I got an Ace 250 for my wife and I like the layout. I am thinking AT Max waterproof, backlight, wireless and volume control. Not sure if the wireless pinpointer will work just as a normal one or not but I love my Carrot now. Suggestions?

wmgeorge

Mar 4, 2013
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got my new to me, 6 month old ATMax now to git er learned.

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
What really made my day was the ability to know if the target was a bottle cap or not. None of my whites machines have that ability. you hit the iron ID and that sneaky little grunt snitches off that bottle cap and saves this senior citizen from digging those pesky things that jerks do not pack out when they leave.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a XP Deus,and I sold my AT Pro! After selling it,i started missing it,so I'm replacing it with the AT Max. I hope it's as good a machine as my Pro was!

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man,the action on here is insane! I guess everyone sold their AT Max machines? Nothing to see here,move along! LOL!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Someone sold one to me for $300. Need to add it to the list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread