AT Max - Trying To Understand It

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my AT Max last October, so this is the first time I've really been able to get out in the water with it. I'm having trouble understanding what it's telling me. I've found a few coins, a 10K ring, a sterling ring, and a Honda car key, along with a lot of trash. I have the iron disc up to 35 and I still get a lot of what I call "grunt" signals. At this point, I'm only digging solid tones. I get a lot of tones that are grunt-solid-grunt and, so far, they all seem to be bottle caps.
I'm beginning to think that I should have waited and gone with the Minelab for the water. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,
Scott

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like there are just a lot of junk targets. At least the Max iron audio gives you the grunt-solid-grunt, whereas the nox makes many more junk targets, especially bottle caps, sound like "good" targets. Had two nox 800's all Spring, hunted the heck out of them (land and water), until recently selling them off, tried to like them, but am much happier with AT Max (for my needs). Yes there are things the nox' did better, mostly on land in trash, but overall, I prefer the Max, mostly cuz I can "call" so many more targets, versus every target being a "surprise", especially in the water (which is my main thing). Good luck

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
botlle caps vdi will fluxuate 5 to 10 learn the sounds silver coins the sound is just a little higher pitch great machine

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You may want to do the 90 degree turn or a 180 on the questionable targets. It will usually tell you if it's diggable or scoopable. If it grunts one way and is good another, it's probably trash,it's up to you to scoop. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I called a friend of mine who has the AT-Gold. He's the one that recommended the machine. He helped me with the configuration, which was my problem. Once I got it configured right, it was like a different machine. I took it out last night for 2 hours to a place that has given up a lot of old coins and it was amazing. There is a ton of trash in this area - it's been used as a swimming area for 150 years - and I was able to pick out some coins that my old machine couldn't see through the trash. I can't wait to go back this weekend. I skipped over some signals just to see what it was telling me. I'll go back and get those. It is hot on nickels, so I assume it will be on rings as well. I got 4 nickels last night (1 Liberty, 1 Buffalo, 2 War), along with a Barber dime and Barber quarter.

Scott

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are shooting coins with the Max and you dont wanna dig iron, you can always turn your iron discrimination up all the way to 44, and turn OFF Iron Audio, then you wont be bothered with the grunts. When you get a target that you arent sure about, turn iron audio back on and hit the target from a couple of different angles to confirm if its something you wanna dig, other than that, just run Zero Discrimination and dig em all... :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread