AT Pro $178.97 repair PLUS Shipping

ansehnlich1

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my AT Pro is out of warranty. Uhhhhh, yeah, it's my normal luck. Garrett has the control housing, along with 2 coils, and headphones. It cost me $25 bucks to ship it to them, and they quoted me a $178.97 to repair. (not sure at this point if that includes shipping back to me or not) They say the coil is bad too, (not sure at this point which one).

My At Pro will be 3 years old come December.

I'm not a happy camper.

Might just have to resign from the Garrett community, and get me something else.

So, Garrett, or anybody else on planet earth for that matter, feel free to convince me that my AT Pro should have it's electronics go kaput in less than three years.

P.S. I've never submerged the control housing, not once. It's a good thing I didn't.....might have damaged it :wink:

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should definitely last more then 3 years, that's for sure.........., $178 for repairs that includes a new coil seems not too outrageous.

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would say that would include shipping. Yea, I would not be happy either. But where could you buy an ATP for $178 with a new coil. I would at least get it back & sell it, I think you would easily get $275+ An ATP with new coil that Garrett went through would sell fast for that price. That is a factor Refurb and new coil..Then you would have the $ to invest in something different, if that is what you wanted.

I would hold on to it but that decision would be yours not me to decide ....Sorry that happened to you . :unhappysmiley:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I can remember when you could buy a detector 30 years ago or even longer and they are still working today .. It seems like most newer model detectors are pure junk now a days.. I have had 3 AT Pros now and they all had to have repairs.. I have used Minelab's since 1992 and none of them have ever needed repair except for my Eureka Gold and it needed repaired for i broke the switch on it my fault ... I have already resigned from the garrett family..

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
3 years old, that is one year longer than I use a machine for. Normally after two years I will retire the machine as it has paid for its self several times already. Well that has been my practice since moving to Europe at least, in the States it was not hard to find someone with rep who could look at a machine and say if all was fine or not. In Europe you will meet many who say they can but they would not know a new machine from a 40 year old machine.

I stay safe and just get new ones.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
In another thread you state that it was "She's acting up and they requested I send the items listed" - would you share what "acting up" means? It just seems strange that they found one problem and also think the coil may be bad? Other's may have experienced the same problem.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was not wanting to get in water there are a dozen better machines in same price range. By better I mean better balance, lighter, deeper, better features.
But for a machine you can submerge 10' it can't be beat for the price.

OP
OP
A

ansehnlich1

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vpnavy, indeed, I started a new thread, and yes 'she was acting up'. What my at pro was doing is hard to describe. With the headphones on, the sound coming through would jump, seemingly from the headphones, to outside of the headphones, remote from them. Cutting in and out, with periods of stalling, no sound, just jumping all over the place, in, out, in, out. I thought the sound was jumping from the headphones to the external speaker and back, real erratic. I'd pull the headphones off, sweep back and forth, listen for sound outside the headphones. Never did determine sound was coming through the speaker though. Actually, I thought the headphones may be bad.

Sad thing is, to this day, I really can't be certain the the flaw wasn't from factory. I did take it to the dealer I bought it from a few months ago, and asked him to check it out. He didin't do much, sweeping over some coins etc. on the floor, and told me it was ok. I felt then something was awry.

I imagine I'm a bit delusional, as I thought maybe this detector would go a decade or two without issue.

I don't wish to bash Garrett too bad, but hey, 50 years should produce a product a bit more durable I would think.

....from the Garrett homepage:

A Message From Our Founders
When Charles and I first began selling and marketing our metal detectors in 1964, we focused on making the best metal detectors and selling them at a fair and reasonable cost. Since that time, Garrett has been dedicated to making sure our customers are our number one priority.

The Garrett name has come to stand for more than metal detection; it is a philosophy for unparalleled customer satisfaction. While it is true that we believed then that our metal detectors could lead the industry in capabilities and results, we recognized early on that commitment and loyalty to our customers would be our true source of success.

We learned over the years that there is no price advantage program, special product feature or other promotional advantage that can replace a satisfied customer. We stand behind the idea that one happy customer can be more valuable than the most elaborate advertising campaign. Customer satisfaction will never go out of style and a company that is willing to provide it will always be held in high regard.

As Garrett moves through the 21st century, the company has set goals to empower our customers with better products, better technology and better information.

Garrett s mission is to continue the tradition of building great sport and security detectors for many generations to come.

Eleanor Garrett
Eleanor Garrett
President & CEO
Garrett Metal Detectors

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...With the headphones on, the sound coming through would jump, seemingly from the headphones, to outside of the headphones, remote from them. Cutting in and out, with periods of stalling, no sound, just jumping all over the place, in, out, in, out...I'd pull the headphones off, sweep back and forth, listen for sound outside the headphones. Never did determine sound was coming through the speaker though...
metal_detector.gif
Did you try removing the headphones completely (unplugging) and see if the sounds were coming out of the speaker without any problems? If you did - did you make sure the connector was clean? I have actually found a blade of grass in my connector, etc.

OP
OP
A

ansehnlich1

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Did you try removing the headphones completely (unplugging) and see if the sounds were coming out of the speaker without any problems? If you did - did you make sure the connector was clean? I have actually found a blade of grass in my connector, etc.

Indeed, over the course of a few months, I disconnected, re-connected, cleaned, replaced batteries, changed out coils, etc . etc. and tried to troubleshoot every possible issue. At this point, according to Garret, there was an issue with the electronics/circuit board.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I disconnected, re-connected, cleaned, replaced batteries, changed out coils, etc...Garret, there was an issue with the electronics/circuit board.
metal_detector.gif
Real bummer - I would love to see what they say was the actual problem so I could search the net and see if this is a established problem. Hope you get it back soon.

Thanks!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My AT pro did the same thing. Stopped working RIGHT after the warranty ended. Hmmm... They "fixed it" and it still had problems when it came back (was sent in 3 times over 2 months...) and I spent about the same as you on "repairs". I gave up after a couple months of trying. It's a shame because I thought Garrett was excellent before that. GL and I hope it gets fixed for you.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT pro did the same thing. Stopped working RIGHT after the warranty ended. Hmmm... They "fixed it" and it still had problems when it came back...
metal_detector.gif
When they "fixed it" - did they provide a reason for the problem and what was repaired?

OP
OP
A

ansehnlich1

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update......I paid the piper and should have my at pro back some time in the next couple days. Word from Garrett is the control housing needs replaced, there is an electronic upgrade to a defective part on the circuit board that they are replacing, and lastly, the coil was bad and they will ship all back to me for price stated in thread title.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had three ATP's and all turned out to be POS.:BangHead:

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Were you using a headphone adapter ? Sandman.....Why would you buy three atp if they are all junk ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were you using a headphone adapter ? Sandman.....Why would you buy three atp if they are all junk ?

Each one lasted a while. The last one lasted the longest but leaked from the faceplate and was only submerged a foot in the water. Three times being stupid is enough for me. My Tiger Shark and CZ-21 have been underwater while diving an never leaked. Garrett wanted arm and leg to fix each of them just after warrantee ran out. Throw away detectors I guess.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update......I paid the piper and should have my at pro back some time in the next couple days. Word from Garrett is the control housing needs replaced, there is an electronic upgrade to a defective part on the circuit board that they are replacing, and lastly, the coil was bad and they will ship all back to me for price stated in thread title.
metal_detector.gif
Seeing that it was a "defective part", etc. - did they say anything about the estimated financial charge?

Bugalooob

Aug 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a 3 year old machine that's ridiculous....personally in my opinion they say garrett at pro is good to 10 or 20 feet of water (I don't remember) but I really don't trust that info...I changed the batterys a couple times and I really don't trust that battery seal cap , that's why I never take it in water....I would suggest you get a dedicated underwater detector with the proper seals

OP
OP
A

ansehnlich1

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had the control housing under water, only thing ever submerged was the coil. I'm not going to bash a company here, but I'll tell you I'm not happy, not at all. I vote with dollars at times......see original post :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread