AT Pro $178.97 repair PLUS Shipping

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
3 years out of a metal detector is not good.

I had my XLT for 20 years, sent it in the first time after 12 years of hard use.

I just sold a Eagle II SL on ebay for what you paid for a repair...

While I hate to slam that unit, since it is so popular, I will say that I have read plenty on T-Net about quality issues, and that is enough for me to steer clear.

My next machine will be a Tesoro Vaquero. Should be a good backup to my CTX.

OP
OP
A

ansehnlich1

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 years out of a metal detector is not good.

I had my XLT for 20 years, sent it in the first time after 12 years of hard use.

I just sold a Eagle II SL on ebay for what you paid for a repair...

While I hate to slam that unit, since it is so popular, I will say that I have read plenty on T-Net about quality issues, and that is enough for me to steer clear.

My next machine will be a Tesoro Vaquero. Should be a good backup to my CTX.

Ya, your post ain't making me feel any better :laughing7: I'm keeping this little thread alive for one purpose.....to share my experience. It is what it is. I too may purchase a Vaquero some time soon!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
You should keep this alive.

I personally think that a repair bill on a machine that new would not have been too much for Garrett to absorb in the name of keeping a customer happy.

A happy customer tells 10 friends about his great experience. An angry customer shouts it from the rooftops...

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the coil is $140+ on Garrett's site, I'm guessing they charged you for the coil and a one hour labor charge and replaced the circuit board at their expense. While $179 is a lot of money, it's only a $38 or so labor charge above the price of the coil, A used refurb AT Pro will fetch $350- 400 in average condition. I'm sorry yours broke outside of warranty, but I can tell you the overall failure rate is very low based on the number of these machines that I have sold since the AT Pro came out in 2010.

I hope everything works out for you and thanks for sharing your experience.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales Rental | Treasure Hunting | Metal Detecting Stuff

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Each one lasted a while. The last one lasted the longest but leaked from the faceplate and was only submerged a foot in the water. Three times being stupid is enough for me. My Tiger Shark and CZ-21 have been underwater while diving an never leaked. Garrett wanted arm and leg to fix each of them just after warrantee ran out. Throw away detectors I guess.
Your right I think they are throw away detectors also....I have had 3 AT's and they seem to always need some king of fix but i will have no more.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least yours cost less than mine when it crapped out after only a few water hunts... Quite disappointed as well.

OP
OP
A

ansehnlich1

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a sit down folks, don't want anybody to keel over and get hurt here.

Got the AT Pro back. It's doing the same thing it did that caused me to send it in the first time.

So, I guess I'll have to drop another $50 bucks on some new headphones and see if that's the problem.

I emailed Garrett and asked if they plugged the headphones in when they tested out the unit, we'll see.

Sound jumps in and out, in the headphone, then out to the speaker, plus, static in the headphone when unit is turned off.

Trying hard not to bash the company here :thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Have a sit down folks, don't want anybody to keel over and get hurt here.

Got the AT Pro back. It's doing the same thing it did that caused me to send it in the first time.

So, I guess I'll have to drop another $50 bucks on some new headphones and see if that's the problem.

I emailed Garrett and asked if they plugged the headphones in when they tested out the unit, we'll see.

Sound jumps in and out, in the headphone, then out to the speaker, plus, static in the headphone when unit is turned off.

Trying hard not to bash the company here :thumbsup:
yes sir that is the same with me my AT came back and was still doing the same thing it did when i sent it in . So there was no fix on mine either ..

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes sir that is the same with me my AT came back and was still doing the same thing it did when i sent it in . So there was no fix on mine either ..

What did Garrett tell you? Would they not let you send it back to them on their dime? is there any warranty?..... like 30 days warranty after they send it back to you ?

OP
OP
A

ansehnlich1

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the interest of full disclosure, I went straight to the local dealer and bought a new set of AT Pro headphones and the AT Pro is back in business.

I deduce from this that Garrett did not plug in the headphones I sent to them, and did not field test the unit with those headphones, or possibly did not spend enough time field testing the headphones I sent to them, as it was the headphones that were defective.

Now, Garrett stated that the large coil I sent them was also defective, and I see no reason to believe otherwise, along with a new control housing, and a replacement item on the circuit board, said item being said by Garrett to be defective, and replaced with an upgraded item. I did not care to get in to the specifics of diodes, capacitors, resistors, and other such electronica that I know little about :dontknow:

I dug a heap of trash an hour ago, not worthy of any pics, on the property around here, which I've scoured pretty thoroughly in the past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread