AT Pro 5 x 8 Coil Question

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, so I just recently picked up the 5 x 8 coil for for my AT Pro based on so many people saying how good it is, but after spending 2 days hunting with it, it is becoming obvious to me that the 5 x 8 does not have as much depth as the stock coil. I had a copper penny at 6" and a dime at 5" and both rang up as just a faint whisper. I know that targets at 5-6" always ring up loud and clear on the stock coil. So my question is, why do so many people say the 5 x 8 coil is so much better than the stock coil when there seems to be an obvious loss of depth? Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's much better in trashy areas because you field is smaller. I don't have any depth problems with mine. I get solid hits at 6" and they ring loud and clear. It's take more than two days to get used to it as well. It took me about a month before I realized how much better it was.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still debating on a 5x8 myself. Here lately after "learning" the ATP in stock form a little better; i have returned to some previously hunted, trashy areas and recovered some good stuff (2 indians, a 35' merc., a 46' rosie, a musketball, etc.) so i guess right now i am happy with my big coil. But Savage, let me know what your final thoughts are on the 5x8 coil...

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do it, get the 5x8. You will love it. That is the only cool I use on mine. You will not be sorry.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's much better in trashy areas because you field is smaller. I don't have any depth problems with mine. I get solid hits at 6" and they ring loud and clear. It's take more than two days to get used to it as well. It took me about a month before I realized how much better it was.

Agreed! Use the big coil at a trashy spot then hit it again with the 5x8. it will open you eyes!

OP
OP
S

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed! Use the big coil at a trashy spot then hit it again with the 5x8. it will open you eyes!

Maybe the difference I'm seeing in depth is due to the highly mineralized soil I'm hunting in. Last night I had another dime at 6" that only gave me a whisper of a signal. I was hunting a highly mineralized soccer field.

With that said, I can definitely see a huge benefit in using the small coil in a trashy area. Next time I'm out in the soccer field though, I'm going to see if I can run the ground balance slightly positive and pick up those deeper targets a little better.

ATGoldGuy

Mar 12, 2013
Heath, OH
Detector(s) used
AT Gold & AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an 1830's large cent at 11" with the 5x8 coil. I have found several horseshoes at 12 - 13 inches. The deepest target with the smaller coil was at 20 inches (yes 20", I measured it), a 4" diameter chromed exterior mirror from an old car. The smallest target I have found at any depth is a .44 caliber bullet from an 1860's Colt Army Revolver at 8 inches.

This was from another thread ...

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone on the site discovered that re-booting the unit in the off position made a difference rather than re-booting it on the on position I don't know if that will help you. But I don't have any depth problems with mine.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only use the 5 x 8 on my AT PRO and I hit targets at 8" with no problems. That said it all depends on the ground your hunting too. If I hunt my parents home I have to deal with coal ashes, and hot rocks. You want to talk about going low and slow, I have more chatter coming through those headphones but every so often I hear the ping that makes me get down and dig. The 5 x 8 just works for me, and I do get depth out of it too. Like I said on another thread "I have no desire to dig post holes; I am too damn old and sore to do that."

OP
OP
S

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I attached the large coil back on my AT Pro and went back to the ball field that I hunted with the 5 x 8 coil and immediately started pulling out deeper clad.

My final thoughts on the 5 x 8 coil are that it is light weight and a great tool in trashy areas, but in a relatively clean open field, I get better depth with the larger stock coil.

For me, the small coil is definitely a keeper, but I will mainly use it for parks and other trashy areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread