AT Pro in wet sand/saltwater

jackedliberty

Oct 5, 2013
Hagerstown, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the effectiveness of the AT Pro in wet sand/saltwater really depend on the mineralization of the beach? I did a beach hunt in New Jersey earlier this year and had crazy falsing in the salt (even with the coil cover removed), but AMAZING results on dry land. Now perhaps it was the beach, but I recently viewed a YouTube video, where a hunter named Carolina Coin Hunter actually had his AT Pro out in the ocean at Myrtle Beach:

Reason I ask is because I will be vacationing in Myrtle Beach in two weeks and would love to strike it rich at the water line, if possible. Any tips to at least get me luck at the tide's edge?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It will work fine at Myrtle. GB often if you change from dry to wet to water. Also try manually lowering the GB to around 11 in the water. You can run wide open in pro zero or pull out the iron to around 28 if there are lots of small rusted pieces of metal flakes driving you nuts. Most of them were sitting right on top the sand when we were there at the water line. Good luck! My AT Pro worked better than my V3i in the wet sand.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes it will not work well in wet salty sand because its a single frequency machine and not made for those conditions.

mrmrsbenoit

Jan 9, 2013
NE Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The new AT Pro has 5 Frequency u can change... Also do the ground balance every time u change ground conditions... IE wet to dry.. The breaking surf is the place you will have the worst trouble with false readings and chatter because of the constant change from the water breaking. To change ground balance hold the ground balance button and do a pumping motion towards the ground and away (up and down). Don't touch the ground when you hear the sound go away your balanced to the ground. I have the instruction video but u can find it prob. on line. I have not been to the beach with mine yet to far away.

hoped it helped
matt

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't use it very well here on Vancouver Islands beaches we can barely use it in the Salt water as our soil is extremely mineralized and we have black sand within 8" of the surface. It makes salt water hunting next to impossible ... Even ground balancing manually it is so chattery. Beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeepggrrrrrrrrr beep. It kind of sucks but the water is so cold up here not many venture in even in the summer.

We went to Florida and it was DEAD QUIET.

Good luck!

Small edit... The ATP is only a single frequency detector. You can change the interference setting near powerlines but no frequency changes possible.... Also no volume for some reason ...

mrmrsbenoit

Jan 9, 2013
NE Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has 5 different freq. very little change in freq. but its a different frequency.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes it will not work well in wet salty sand because its a single frequency machine and not made for those conditions.

Glad I didn't read this ^before I found this...
IMG_0386.JPG

TonyAD

Greenie
Dec 23, 2011
S. Florida
Detector(s) used
Deus II, Equinox 800 & 600, Excalibur II, Excalibur Blue Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It is a single frequency detector which generally do not do well in moving saltwater. It works great in the dry sand on the East Coast. Don't confuse single frequency detectors with those that can use multiple frequencies at the sometime such as some of the Minelab and White units. I have experienced the surf with the ATP in both NJ and Fla and the need to constantly GB will drive you looney. Just wet sand will work fairly well, give it a try, you will benefit more from your own experiences.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread