at-pro issue

mohawkman4081

May 5, 2012
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX or Whites Clasic Id
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the other day i went to this site started up my at-pro my sensitivity was up to full and the at-pro was going nuts i tried to ground ballance it but the gage was going all over the place i lowered the sensitivity by one and it still was going nuts i brought it all the way down to a sensitivity of 2 and it sounded normal anything above 2 bars it went crazy. Anyone have this problem?

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was this in just one area? I've had mine do that once at an old ball field, there wad very high emi. Even after I changed frequency. Did you try changing that?

Could also be hot rocks, or connection.

OP
OP
M

mohawkman4081

May 5, 2012
CT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to change the frequency but nothing worked the batteries were new i tried taking the batteries out and dropped the holder cracking a small piece of plastic of the holder. That didn't fix the problem.

OP
OP
M

mohawkman4081

May 5, 2012
CT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far this was in one area. I havent used it since

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take it out in your yard and try cranking it up just to see if it does the same thing. Also, call garrett about the cracked holder, they'll probably just send you a new one, their customer service is top notch!

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the other day i went to this site started up my at-pro my sensitivity was up to full and the at-pro was going nuts i tried to ground ballance it but the gage was going all over the place i lowered the sensitivity by one and it still was going nuts i brought it all the way down to a sensitivity of 2 and it sounded normal anything above 2 bars it went crazy. Anyone have this problem?

Hi mohawkman4081,

You didn't say if the problem happens in every area or just that one area. If it just happens in that one area, most likely it's because of EMF (ELECTRIC AND MAGNETIC FIELDS) caused by either underground or above ground wiring. There are places on the beach where it happens to me and I love it because most MD'er stay clear of the area. I can put up with all the noise for a short time and can pick out high tone signals through all the noise. I have found many coins in EMF areas.
You can try going to the other end of the site you were at, then turn on your machine, if its quiet there, its most likely EMF. Then as you walk toward the other end you may start hearing EMF get louder and louder as you get to the source of the electrical interference. And yes, the display on the machine bounces all over the place as does the sound.

Last edited:

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to hit that ballpark again after my minelab gets here. I can't wait to see if it gets better

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost same situation as i had the last time out. Was going nuts . Would not hit on anything .everything was all scratchy sounding ,

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That could be anything, cell tower, wifi router, underground cable... Try it in several completely different areas.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had this happen in a couple areas too...I found at after i was losing my mind, that it was underground lines...sometimes you can "mess" with it and it corrects itself....sometimes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread