AT Pro O-ring seals

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you got your AT Pro did you notice how the O-rings in the headphones jack, coil jack, and battery compartment had a slight lube on them and it slowly wears away after time? Water can get into the smallest places and nothing can fry a good detector like a little bit of water.

When I was down the Outer Banks, NC, I wanted to take my detector on the beach near the water line and new it might get hit by some waves as well as take it in the surf TOTALLY under water. I just have the stock black headphones, so I knew I could totally submerge the AT Pro but just had to keep my head above the water.

My main worry was... "are the O-rings and seals going to hold up"? I had the AT Pro in the rain a few times and it got soaked but NOTHING like having it totally submerged underwater or in the OCEAN!

I found a local dive shop and he said 'they use a silicon lube on their dive equipment and tanks and he has sold some to the local metal detecting guys before'. I asked if it was 'any good and would seal O-rings better?'. His reply was 'oh yeah! When you are diving, you can't aford any mistakes or failures'.

I bought a small container (as seen in the picture) and tried it out.

The results.......?

• It puts a small coating on the O-ring and plastic and you can tell anything slid over the O-ring slides very well in place without any binding or rolling the O-ring.
  • You can tell it will take up any small gaps or imperfections in the plastic or O-ring and keep it water tight.
  • The lube is not like WD-40 or vaseline, or oil, but like the stock lube that is on the AT Pro when you get it.
  • If anything (sand, dust, dirt, etc.) is in there you can tell it won't gouge up or cut into the plastic or O-ring as it will slide the debris out of the way when sealing iteself.
Nothing like some peace of mind when in the water, and knowing your detector is sealed as tight. The AT Pro passed with flying colors and the seals didn't leak a drop!I had the AT Pro totally submerged and waves washing over it all day at the beach and day after day for the week.

I won't hesitate to recommend the silicon lube or take the AT Pro in the drink....

Attachments

• detector beach 3.jpg
    detector beach 3.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 298
  • lube.jpg
    lube.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 389

Jcar

Greenie
Jul 8, 2012
You can also get little containers of silicone lube in the plumbing department at Home Depot or Lowes.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This just isn't for us divers but anyone that uses O rings. It is also the best thing to apply to the connectors of the older water detectors for the coils. It is best to apply some to the Excal's connector also. Don't forget to apply some to the faceplate O ring of White's detectors. I even applied some to the battery door O ring on the CZ20 and 1280 though it doesn't need it as no water can fry the guts of those units. Prices are cheaper at Lowes, etc than dive shops but how much is your detector worth?

OP
OP
Viddy

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah. that 4oz container only cost $2.50 and a little goes a long long way! that will last me a decade!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am always a fan of lubing o rings. Less wear and tear.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also get little containers of silicone lube in the plumbing department at Home Depot or Lowes.
Got mine at Lowes last year. I keep my AT pro underwater for hours at a time. Sopme people say they think its only water resistant...the AT is waterproof.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use dielectric grease. You can get it at any auto store and is made for what we use it for.

image-724817223.jpg

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more helpful hint, when you lub up your O ring it is best to completely remove it from the connector by pinching the sides and forcing the o ring up on the groove so you can grab it. Do not use a pick or anything sharp as it might cut the ring or damage the groove. When the o ring is out use a lint free cloth and really clean out the groove, just one grain of sand can ruin your whole day.
Oh yea, don't go nuts on the grease, just enough to lub it up. The grease doesn't stop the water it helps allow the o ring to slide into the openings that require sealing and to fit tight to the surfaces.
ZDD

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I understand the AT PRO is completely water proof to 10 foot even with the headphones and coil removed. The Nice O-Ring is just there to seal water out of the headphone and coil jacks. I do not disagree with keeping them lubed especially if you are a water hunter.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O ring maintence is not mentioned in the manual...something that SHOULD BE !. If you happen to damage or break one because it is dry, your not likely to get a replacement at any corner store.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread