AT Pro - what accesories?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get the 5x8 coil because it is a great coil in trashy sites and if you have some extra money get the Garrett pro pointer. Coil covers are pretty cheap so yea I would get one to protect coil if your smacking it around in the rocks or trees in the woods. It will also keep the scratches off the coil bottom.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kodiak gave you very good advise, I have the stock coil, the 5x8 DD and the Super sniper 4.5....................I Never use any of them but the 5x8. Pin pointer for sure, coil covers........I have always used them. I have a couple extra battery holders, lot of guys seem to drop them changing batteries, I have never needed them, but it wont wreck my hunt if I do drop one!

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo in Garrett green with brown leather interior is my vote.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to interrupt the thread, but is there a site that sells the At pro that includes the 5x8 coil?

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo in Garrett green with brown leather interior is my vote.

I have that exact accessory!! .....................But the 1994 version, love my heep. 178,000 miles!!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to interrupt the thread, but is there a site that sells the At pro that includes the 5x8 coil?

Most places sell I think what is called the sport package, but I don't think you can get the AT Pro with just the 5 x 8 alone. It this was available, I would get this over anything else. Some of the packages that have extra accessories like the hip bag and digger your just paying more and there is better accessories out there. I would just buy the basic package and spend more and get better quality accessories.

The 5 x 8" coil is important. You will never use the larger coil if you have this one. Also a cover to protect the control box and coil cover. The headphone adapter cord is important so you can use something better than the Garrett headphones. Concerning the Garrett headphones, they will work but you don't realize how you did it with them once you get a better set on that machine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gabby1

Tenderfoot
Dec 3, 2014
Wilmington DE
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did get the garret pointer when I bought AT. So it seems it might not be worth getting a cover for the stock coil if it seems the 5x8 will be the coil to use in the future. Might as well get coil cover for it. If that is the case, when would I use the stock coil? Besides around town/local parks/old homesteads I plan to try this at the beach (salt) in case that info is helpful.

Speaking of tools, I am seeing the need for some type of pouch. Thinking one that has a pocket for trash and one for goodies. Also need to have holsters for pointer and small hand trowel. I did get a hardware store trowel which works fine but without a holster I am finding I have too many things to tote around.
Any advice of a trowel - I'm of the mindset - get one good one and be done.

I also picked up a trench shovel for main plugs digging. It's the style with a long narrow blade, wood handle with the tee type grip. Seems OK, didn't cost a lot but are the "special" shovels should for detecting really going to give me an working advantage - it's not like I'm spending the $$ for a holster for it.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
31" Sampson t-handle.

The Sampson is awesome in the farm fields I love mine and I also have the leashe hand digger for places I don't want to leave a trace that I was there. Believe me they are worth the money. I have the digital camo Garrett finds pouch and it has a zippered compartment for good stuff and big part of pouch for junk. Some people carry plastic lure type boxes but the pouch is all I have ever used. The pro pointer is one thing I would prob turn back around to get it I wasn't to far away from home it make recovery so much faster. I have waved handfuls of dirt over coil but after getting the pp I can't imagine not having one. Good luck.

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A good digging tool cause the GARRETT AT PRO will find some deep ones for ya! Holler if you need help on settings!

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pro pointer is a game changer. Makes it SO much easier to locate your target. I would not want to go without one.

I use a Lesche hand digger and really like it. I wish mine was serrated on both sides though instead of just one. When digging out in a pasture or other place where its not as necessary to be neat, I carry a Bill Dookie (sharpshooter) shovel. IF you will be beach hunting, a good sand scoop.

For a finds pouch, I wear a hunting vest with lots of pockets and big compartments. The finds pouch belt was always pulling down my pants, lol.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres my complete outfit;
Atpro W/5"X8" COIL (9x11 AT HOME FOR BACK UP)
GARRETT PIN POINTER
LEACHE DIGGER (OR SIMALAR )
GARRETT POUCH
LONG (KICKER) SAND SCOOP
PLASTIC HAND HELD SAND SCOOP
SAMPSON T HANDLE SHOVEL
12"X12" ISH PLASTIC SHEET FOR DIRT IF DIGGING IN LAWNS
CHEAP VELCRO STRAP KNEE PADS (FOR WET GRASS ETC.)
HOMEMADE BUSINESS CARDS FOR METAL DETECTING TO GIVE TO LAND OWNERS (MAKES THEM FEEL BETTER)
CAMERA TO REGORD MY BEST FINDS ///
SMALL .380 AUTO IN CONCEALED HOLSTER WHEN NEEDED//

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres my complete outfit;
Atpro W/5"X8" COIL (9x11 AT HOME FOR BACK UP)
GARRETT PIN POINTER
LEACHE DIGGER (OR SIMALAR )
GARRETT POUCH
LONG (KICKER) SAND SCOOP
PLASTIC HAND HELD SAND SCOOP
SAMPSON T HANDLE SHOVEL
12"X12" ISH PLASTIC SHEET FOR DIRT IF DIGGING IN LAWNS
CHEAP VELCRO STRAP KNEE PADS (FOR WET GRASS ETC.)
HOMEMADE BUSINESS CARDS FOR METAL DETECTING TO GIVE TO LAND OWNERS (MAKES THEM FEEL BETTER)
CAMERA TO REGORD MY BEST FINDS ///
SMALL .380 AUTO IN CONCEALED HOLSTER WHEN NEEDED//

I carry a xds .45 concealed (I have a ccw license) when In iffy area or woods. I just bought a nel tornado coil for my at gold for the less trashy areas. The at pro stock coil got deep but from air test the nel is a lot deeper. I'm sure it wouldn't be good in trashy spots so will carry small coil with me also.

Last edited:

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
I did get the garret pointer when I bought AT. So it seems it might not be worth getting a cover for the stock coil if it seems the 5x8 will be the coil to use in the future. Might as well get coil cover for it. If that is the case, when would I use the stock coil? Besides around town/local parks/old homesteads I plan to try this at the beach (salt) in case that info is helpful.

Speaking of tools, I am seeing the need for some type of pouch. Thinking one that has a pocket for trash and one for goodies. Also need to have holsters for pointer and small hand trowel. I did get a hardware store trowel which works fine but without a holster I am finding I have too many things to tote around.
Any advice of a trowel - I'm of the mindset - get one good one and be done.

I also picked up a trench shovel for main plugs digging. It's the style with a long narrow blade, wood handle with the tee type grip. Seems OK, didn't cost a lot but are the "special" shovels should for detecting really going to give me an working advantage - it's not like I'm spending the $$ for a holster for it.

Concerning pouch. I recently was at a bug box store looking around and came across a nail apron that was very soft and distressed leather. The only problem was it had 2 hammer holders that made it look "not like a metal" pouch. I however seen potential and the price was good. I bought it and took the rivets out that was holding the hammer hooks on. Now it looks pretty cool and very functional. It has 5 pockets on it so can pretty much carry whatever I want around. Another good place to look for pouches is a military surplus store. I enjoy going to these stores and just keep in mind you are there for metal detecting stuff.

Also would like to thank the guys that promote the use of another coil. I am still with my stock coil and have thrown the idea around of buying another. You guys make decisions a lot easier!

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the others I think the 5 x 8 coil and the pinpointer are essential, I just recently bought the 31 inch t handle sampson shovel....Love it...for what ever reason though I cant be satisfied on pouches (LOL),..i keep trying different ones...My newest being a military molle belt that you can attach different pouches to..Just got it and going to try it out today

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the garrett camo pouch and a nail apron. When I'm in river I use apron on land garrett pouch. Both work ok

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I learned metal detecting and what I would recommend, is rather simple. One, I would put the smaller coil on the machine 5 x 8 with a cover, it makes the machine much lighter and more balanced. I am not inclined to dig post holes and am happy with the depth I obtain with this coil. The pro-pointer goes without saying, I have found small finds that I never would have found otherwise. I own a Sampson T handle shovel (the 31" one), it makes life so much easier along with a good hand digger. I purchased my hand shovel from Kellyco and I put a motorcycle handle grip on it, perfect. Next you need some kind of pouch to put your stuff in that you dig. Again, I don't want to be taken to task for mentioning a brand but the one I bought is military origin and the bag has a mesh bottom so all the dirt falls out as I walk and dig, love it. The sheath for my digger is open bottom too so any mud on my digger falls off as I walk. One time I used my wife's car and threw my bag and digger in the backseat when I was done with the hunt (prior to this type of bag) and all this dried dirt came out and spilled all over the rear seat of the car, what a mess, it was the Garrett bag and the standard sheath. Haven't had that problem with the mesh bag and open sheath since. I don't care what brand you look at but it is something to think about. Also on the Sampson I added a sling, which I purchased at a gun shop, makes carrying the thing so much easier; I carry it like a gun over my shoulder. Also I purchased a small waterproof flashlight so I can look inside those holes and if I forget and walk into some water it won't be ruined. And finally the Grey Ghost headphones for when I am not thinking and stick my head into water or it starts raining and I want to stay out. Also, for those rare times when I walk a stream I have a small scoop I carry along nothing fancy, just need to get the job done.

Again let me be clear, any brand from any supplier works... so don't tar and feather me thinking I am trying to sell something; I'm not. I am just an old man who swings a detector as time permits, nothing more.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions