At pro

Myth legend

Aug 15, 2016
Lost in space
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Metal Detector, now an At Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goof Afternoon, I've recently got back into metal detecting, college has unfortunately kept me away from the fields. However, recently, I've found a hunting spot. Some of the depths be 8 inches plus, and I'm not sure if I should have kept digging or stopped. Most of the time I stopped digging, I didn't want to make the hole too deep. In addition, i don't have the pinpointer (Least not now) I can see why a lot of people whom have the at pro, uses it.

P.S I did find some more stuff that was a little higher in terms of the inch's, mostly aluminum pieces, a cup, a piece of can. I threw away these pieces, but in the future, or next time, I'll take pictures.

Last edited:

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have at pro as well. and get signals that are 8+ inches deep. many times it says 10+ inches deep. im curious as well if guys spend the time digging these or if they move onto more better targets thats 6" or less.
when the machine says 10+ inches. what could that mean? am i gonna spend 30 min digging down that deep. is it at 10" or is at 20". how deep can the at pro actually detect?

Saker

Jan 12, 2021
SW PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CTX3030, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, it would depend on what I am hearing. If it's a solid repeatable mid or high tone and sounds good, I would dig those deep signals all day long. I dug my first half dollar (clad) at 8 inches with the AT Pro and it sounded great. I also dug a license plate at 14 inches, it sounded good at the time but that was when I was still learning. I wouldnt dig it now. I think the AT Pro is all about the audio and I rarely ever look at the screen. It a great detector, listen to it closely.

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me, it would depend on what I am hearing. If it's a solid repeatable mid or high tone and sounds good, I would dig those deep signals all day long. I dug my first half dollar (clad) at 8 inches with the AT Pro and it sounded great. I also dug a license plate at 14 inches, it sounded good at the time but that was when I was still learning. I wouldnt dig it now. I think the AT Pro is all about the audio and I rarely ever look at the screen. It a great detector, listen to it closely.
doesnt the audio and screen display go hand in hand with this machine? if you just listen to audio its still the same signal if you werent listening to audio and only looking at the screen. correct me if im wrong. i have no problem being wrong. when im wrong, i learn things.

OP
OP
M

Myth legend

Aug 15, 2016
Lost in space
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My dector did give high pitches, but this is an area where people do use the land here and there, so I was mindful of people using that land. The shovel I have may have turned dull, well, it still does make plug holes, but yeah. I'll head out again this week, it has rained, so things should be easier to hear.

OP
OP
M

Myth legend

Aug 15, 2016
Lost in space
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doesnt the audio and screen display go hand in hand with this machine? if you just listen to audio its still the same signal if you werent listening to audio and only looking at the screen. correct me if im wrong. i have no problem being wrong. when im wrong, i learn things.
Its kind of both, the screen helps.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AT Gold and I have picked up cast iron pipes at about three feet but I think it is because of their size, In one playground I go to it is really annoying because they criss cross the playground They are old city waterlines the groundskeeper for the town has also done some digging in the park and has ran across them that's the only reason I knew what was making my detector go off and I was able to follow them to the street. There was no way I was going to dig that deep they maxed out my depth meter.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've run into a few baseball fields that used to be dump sites. I'll get a mid to high 70's signal and dig forever. I eventually find a flattened aluminum beer can a foot down (or more) for my effort.

My rule on those spots is to dig a couple to be sure and then ignore those deep 70's signals the rest of the day. If you don't, you'll waste your valuable time digging up nothing but cans.

Saker

Jan 12, 2021
SW PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CTX3030, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends. A coin on edge or really deep might sound faint but good, and the numbers can jump around or not even register. I've also dug coins with iron/trash in the same hole. The numbers were all over the place but there was enough of a good tone to make me dig. But if you got the coil over a good target in clean ground and not too deep, you should get great audio and consistent numbers.

OP
OP
M

Myth legend

Aug 15, 2016
Lost in space
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've run into a few baseball fields that used to be dump sites. I'll get a mid to high 70's signal and dig forever. I eventually find a flattened aluminum beer can a foot down (or more) for my effort.

My rule on those spots is to dig a couple to be sure and then ignore those deep 70's signals the rest of the day. If you don't, you'll waste your valuable time digging up nothing but cans.
It depends. A coin on edge or really deep might sound faint but good, and the numbers can jump around or not even register. I've also dug coins with iron/trash in the same hole. The numbers were all over the place but there was enough of a good tone to make me dig. But if you got the coil over a good target in clean ground and not too deep, you should get great audio and consistent numbers.
Thank ya'll for the advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread