Atocha 8 Reales?

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
A coworker showed this to me today. It was given to her as a gift and she thought it was from a ship called the Atocha and had a certificate with it that has since been lost. I have looked at some of the Atocha coins online but is there a way to tell if this is a reproduction or a real coin. It was once part of a necklace as you can see by the bit of metal protruding from the top. (have not weighed it yet but it is quite heavy).

Attachments

• IMG_1465.JPG
    IMG_1465.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_1470.JPG
    IMG_1470.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 534

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can bend it with your teeth its real.

Update - after reading below, I have to add - I was joking. I hope you haven't broken any teeth :D

Seriously - without handling (and you get a 'feel' for these things) its hard to tell. Best take it to an expert or post it in the Cobs section. Some real experts look there unlike idiots like me.

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
There are so many replicas out there that without the COA, there is not much way to tell. There are different levels of replicas as well. Some are outright fakes and some are cast from the large silver ignots found with the Atocha. I have both. A coin with a COA and a pair of earrings I bought my wife which are replica coins made from the silver from the ship. Can't tell them apart. Both silver. Both 8 Reales. Both probably bend if you bite it.

I've seen the "lost the certificate" on many of the Ebay listings.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a replica as well, cant find my coin right now but did find the COA.

Attachments

• Atocha 002.jpg
    Atocha 002.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 484
Upvote 0

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
other side

Attachments

• Atocha 001.jpg
    Atocha 001.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 483
Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
It was given to her as a gift and she thought it was from a ship called the Atocha and had a certificate with it that has since been lost.

I have a replica as well, cant find my coin right now but did find the COA

Wow, A match made in heaven.

Tony

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
If you can bend it with your teeth its real.

Update - after reading below, I have to add - I was joking. I hope you haven't broken any teeth :D

Seriously - without handling (and you get a 'feel' for these things) its hard to tell. Best take it to an expert or post it in the Cobs section. Some real experts look there unlike idiots like me.

great now you tell me. Man the dentist is going to be busy.

Attachments

• an462.gif
    an462.gif
    14 KB · Views: 378
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Hill Billy said:
I have a replica as well, cant find my coin right now but did find the COA.

cool thanks for the post Hill Billy. I'll send her the link to the forums here and have her take a look at it.

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
I'm a little confused. Do you want to know if it a coin from the Atocha, a replica coin from silver from the Atocha, an imitation silver coin made to look like a coin from the Atocha, or a fake?

Daryl

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
BioProfessor said:
I'm a little confused. Do you want to know if it a coin from the Atocha, a replica coin from silver from the Atocha, an imitation silver coin made to look like a coin from the Atocha, or a fake?

Daryl

a bit of all those questions I suppose. She could not quite remember the name of the ship so firstly could it be from the Atocha, (I know little about these types of coins, could the design be tied to the ship? or is it a standard reale which could have been on any ship) and her having lost the COA leads to the other questions, which don't seem likely to be answered without the COA.

Upvote 0

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
I found my coin.

Attachments

• nickel 003.jpg
    nickel 003.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 352
  • nickel 004.jpg
    nickel 004.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 375
Upvote 0

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
I was in Naggs Head beach NC. 2yrs. ago watching a guy with a home made detector made of PVC tubing and such,and after about 40 minutes of watching him he dropped to his knees yelling thank you n all that jazz.I walk to him and asked him what he had found,low and behold he showed me that same exact coin,i was mesmerized and amazed.He allowed me to take a picture of it,if i can find the pic i'll post it up

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Ive always wanted to do that with a handful of fake Gold coins when the yahoos ask me "Found any buried treasure yet?" I may have to do that this winter.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread