Need a little background and dating on 45.90 cal. rifle cartridge

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
My "specialty" if there is such a thing is searching old big game and fishing campsites here in No. Idaho. I have amassed quite a collection of old fired and unfired shells. Today was my first 45.90 cartridge case. The head stamp reads 45.90 C.F. WRA CO. I have quite a few 45.70s' as they have been modernized. Back in the 40's there was an old Winchester lever action in the 45.90 caliber that belonged to an old aunt but it got bought up by a collector before I was old enough to lift the darn thing. I do remember though that they couldnt buy ammunition for it then and the last time it was fired they used 45.70 in it. Do any of you gun buffs here have info on manufacture dates of the rifles using this cartridge.
The shell case is 2 1/2" long.

Attachments

• 4590 shell.jpg
    4590 shell.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 545
  • headstamp.jpg
    headstamp.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 534

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
Silverswede,I do the same type of hunting in the Lewiston area. I've found only one 45-90WCF,but many other old cases and bullets. According to the book,"Cartridges of the World", the 45-90WCF was introduced in 1885 for the Winchester model 1886 rifle and the Winchester High Wall single shot rifle.Marlin also made rifles in this caliber. Smokeless loads were introduced in 1895,and were discontinued about 1936.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there was the .45 - 70 being a common govt military load and with lots of govt surplus guns sold it hung around (there are gun chambered for it to this day)------then there was the .45- 90 and the .45-120 even (oouch) ---the latter number is the "grains" of black powder in the load--- by the way sharps made a number of speciality rifles ---they were often used by buffalo hunter types and big game hunters. they were well known to be highly accurite ---thus the term "sharps-shooter"

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Junkdigger & all filled in the dates.

As a side note, I just picked up a magazine on CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) and there is a groundswell of older cartridges and reproduction firearms (many made in Italy). Companies are making firearms in such calibers as .40-65, .45-90 and .32-40 for these enthusiasts, as well as dozens of the old revolver cartridges. And cartridge makers are producing cases and even loaded ammo . . . for a price.

Should complicate things in the near future.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
silverswede

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Thank you all. You are a wealth of information. The rifle I referred to must have been an Winchester 1886. It had an octogon barrel and was long-not a carbine. I remember my dad saying "it was so slow you had to lead a standing deer" That would be the 90 grains of black powder and a big bullet. Junkdigger, It's nice to know I have a neighbor down on the Clearwater.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread