Attn: All Ryedale owners

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Upvote 0
Without a Ryedale weighing them is the only way to know for sure. I wait until I have a bowl full then take them to work and weigh them lol

With my Ryedale I never even SEE the 1982's. They just go where they belong on their own. I dump a box into the machine (In about 8 minutes) and it runs thorugh them all. I don't pay attention to ANy dates on ANY of the coins, so 1982 is no different than 1981 or 1983. It just goes where it goes.

I watch the non copper side for rejects I want to keep (1942 and older coppers were a little different composition and get discriminated out, so end up in the reject bucket) but other than looking for older wheats in the reject side I never pay attention to dates.

Once I am done, I go through the coppers looking for wheats. I pull those, then hoard the rest of teh copper (Still not caring if they are 1982 or 1962. Just "copper")

Hope that helps.

Let me clarify: I realize that most who use a Ryedale don't care about the dates. Copper is copper. What I'm asking if someone would take the time to sample a box. If enough owners would take the time to sample a box, then there would be a random representative sample to draw statistics from. Right now, I weigh my own when I get enough but I was curious what others might be getting. With not everyone owning a Ryedale, many handsorters are throwing away alot of copper by disregarding the 82's.

Diver_Down said:
Let me clarify: I realize that most who use a Ryedale don't care about the dates. Copper is copper. What I'm asking if someone would take the time to sample a box. If enough owners would take the time to sample a box, then there would be a random representative sample to draw statistics from. Right now, I weigh my own when I get enough but I was curious what others might be getting. With not everyone owning a Ryedale, many handsorters are throwing away alot of copper by disregarding the 82's.

Given the reasons for why someone would invest in a ryedale, you'll probably be pretty SOL to get one to volunteer to hand sort pennies.

Now, if you wanted to hook up with a ryedale owner to run some 1982 pennies that YOU previously sorted and have them just drop them in for you, I'm sure that would go over much better.

Untill this week I hand sorted pennies. I knew for the past two weeks I was getting a Ryedale so I saved all of my 1982's. I had 389 out of the 389, 243 where copper when run thru the machine.

so you are looking at about 63%.

I know others have had about the same %.

I hope this helps.

Jason

Thank you, Jason. Also, thanks to Seagates for sending me the link to the realcent forum on the same topic. It seems that a low ratio of 60% and an upper ratio of 80% are copper. For those that hand-sort, keep those 82's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back