VB Sanddigger

Sep 6, 2008
Suffolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=&quot]Metal Detecting Ethics: Golden Rules to Observe During Metal Detecting

Metal detecting is a fun hobby to have...but it's a hobby that can easily place you under arrest (with bail, don't worry) or the object of people's rage. To avoid both unfavorable consequences, keep in mind the following tips on metal detecting ethics:

ALWAYS ASK PERMISSION

Even if you personally know the landowner and are certain that the landowner is the generous and forgiving type, it's still important to obtain proper permission before letting your metal detector do its work. To safeguard both of your interests as well, a written consent is better than mere verbal sanction.

RESPECT MOTHER NATURE.

We humans are generously blessed by Mother Nature to live in such beauty. While it's okay to indulge in your hobby at woods, riverbanks, forests, and fields, do make sure that nothing you do will cause irreparable harm to any natural resources. The simple act of littering, by the way, is already an act against Mother Nature!

RESPECT HISTORICAL SITES.

Similarly, show proper respect to any site that's of historical significance. This includes but is not limited to buildings, parks, schools, ghost towns, and farm houses. We're not saying that you should completely avoid metal detecting in these sites, but rather, just make sure that you don't cause negligent destruction in your eagerness to come up with valuable findings.

My wife and I have sold sea shells we collected from Florida beaches, giant pine cones from California, and rocks we collected all over the country. We sold them at flea markets and craft shows, as is, or made into something crafty. I once met a man who sold "burls" (unusual growths on trees) for as much as $200 each. Walk-through metal detectors are most common in airports, hotels, government buildings, and other public places. They are designed to detect razor blades, weapons and microprocessor chips. They come with superb discrimination, excellent target selection, high throughput, low false alarm rate, uniform detection within the entire archway, and a bi-directional system.

Although you may not realize it, metaphorically the Publishers Clearing House comes by your door every morning, and every day you have the winning lottery ticket. How is this possible? Well, within you there already exists a treasure chest. It is filled with the priceless jewels of your own positive memories and your capacities to achieve positive states of being.

Corporate teams will spend the entire day in wandering to every possible locations and comparing the sites with the given photographs. In this event, each team has to take photographs, which should be similar to the given photographs. I was once involved in tearing down an old house. In the attic, hidden underneath the insulation, I found a glass piggy bank of old pennies. I also found a rare old magazine and a few other minor treasures.

NEVER LEAVE EXCAVATIONS UNFULFILLED.

Simply put, you should be responsible enough to take care of your own mess. Leave the site the way it appeared when you arrived. Leaving gaping holes in the ground in your wake is an act of outright inconsideration because these can cause accidents to other people.

IGNORANCE IS STILL NOT AN EXCUSE.

If you're planning to pursue metal detecting in unfamiliar territory, do make sure that you're aware of all pertinent and relevant laws, rules, and regulations. Even if you're willing to take the consequences of your actions, the damage you've unintentionally caused might be beyond repair.

THERE'S NO PLACE FOR JEALOUSY IN ANY HOBBY OR SPORT.

Don't let jealousy ruin your pleasure with metal detecting and your relationship with fellow metal detecting enthusiasts. If another individual comes up with better finds, just let it be; it's just not your day. Do not allow yourself to fall victim to envy if your companions have better equipment; just do your best, pray for luck, and fate shall do the rest.

DON'T CHEAT OR STEAL.

This is a rule that applies to all endeavors. Don't cheat or steal from your companions or landowners. Claim what's truly yours and give what's truly due to others!

From this we can see that it is a hobby or job that involves hunting for precious metals, gems etc. So we call assume that any job or hobby involving hunting for such items has an element of 'Treasure Hunting' involved in it.

I hope you find this technique useful and that you recover more treasure because of it. As I know it has increased the number of targets that I have been able to recover greatly.

A dresser without knobs only needs new knobs but a dresser without a drawer is going to take some more work. Could you replace the dresser with a wicker basket you pull in and out?

In this day and age of mass production and cutting costs, antiques make a marked statement in a display of expert quality and beauty, the handiwork of master craftsmen and women. The true value of antiques is not necessarily tied to beauty though. Find out more about metal detectors at metal detector info site.

[/FONT]

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VB Sanddigger

VB Sanddigger

Sep 6, 2008
Suffolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=&quot]
Another fine place to do metal detecting is in parks and playgrounds. Our community parks, city parks, old parks, zoos, picnic areas, city playgrounds, old playgrounds, sandboxes, swings, campgrounds and old battlefields is where we could go to look behind large trees, grassy areas, old trees, shady spots, unpaved parking lots, spaces where lovers hide to get away from the crowd, under park benches and pathways.[/FONT]

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most of the people on this site, I,,garuntee, know the rules already......HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread