atv recommendations

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
a recomendation for a ATV is difficult to decide for you. for me i needed a ATV with a winch and 4x4 to make sure i get back out of where i went. cargo capacity is another important need for all of my tools i carry. and ATV size and engine displacement. when i bought mine 9 years ago i watched ATVtv with Doug Meyers. its no long on tv. but they reveiwed each atv in its catagory and i decided from there and then the prices of what was ava. in my area. they are all good machines. and im assuming you dont need 4x4 option. so i guess it boils down to dealer location,$$$,and what does your friends have. dont forget to get your AZ permit....

OP
OP
M

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks much for your in-put i appreciate it very much. thinking a 4x4 will be the best option and also as you said, room to carry all needed supplies. also, yes a winch would be a must. once again, thanks for your expert advice. take care. ron :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use mine in the mtns a lot I bought a Polaris and have owned several of them. I like automatic transmissions. You can haul a lot with one of these. They do not get good gas milage though but are very comfortable to ride with independent suspension.
All that being said when I buy again I will get one that is small enough to have a pull start in case of a dead battery. 4 wheel drive is a must and one that you can change from 4 to 2 wheel drive is important.
I may consider one of the new Hondas if they get their suspension close to the polaris. The 700 I have now is a little heavy.
Good luck

Attachments

• 100_1964.JPG
    100_1964.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 588
  • 100_1964.JPG
    100_1964.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 586

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
4x4 is desirable because you can crawl over, up, and through rough terrain without hitting it so hard that you'll fly over the handlebars. The 4x4 also requires less body english to make turns, and with 4x4 you normally get the low range gear selection that's not available on most 2wd models.

If you ever get a heavy 4x4 stuck in the mud, you'll be glad you have the winch.

I raced quads when they first came out, but now my pace is a bit slower and more suited to a 4x4. I'm without one at the moment, but looking. My last one was a 500 Polaris and it was very reliable for me.

There are so many features, sizes, and configurations out there, you really have to decide what you need for yourself. Be aware that if you plan to have a passenger fairly often, not all seats are large enough. For instance, the Honda Rancher has a seat that's really suited for only one rider, same with a Wolverine. I know riding double isn't recommended, but that's one of the requirements for my next quad. (the Mrs. likes to go too)

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Polaris is the brand I see most in the Arizona gold fields.

norcalrockhunter

Jul 21, 2006
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
even though I'm in CA my wifes family is all spread out in AZ and I have been all over the south with her on the back and the dog on the rear rack, hunting all kinds of things
I have a 2007 KQ 700, I've own about 10 others in the last 10 years and I have to say I hit the jack pot with this thing, for the 3 of us to run 100 plus miles a day sometimes and not be broke ass sore the next day is a believe relief, I added on board air system so I have no worries about flat tires, I got a nice little GPS mount that runs a Rino 530 GPS, heavy duty skid plates, modified front and rear shocks that came off a YZR, gun rack that also acts as a MD rack, 5 gals of fresh water in the rear, front cooler with saddle bag set up, holster left side that carries my Glock 40 or my Kimber CDP PRO CARRY II warn winch in the front tow hitch in the rear and of course a dog blanket for the healer, I can still mount my bed roll, and enough food for me and the dog for 4 days solid, if the wife goes food for 2 days, and still have room to add 10 gals of fuel, the best part is that this KQ will get 110 miles per tank fuel so I can say I'm vary happy with my KQ

OP
OP
M

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
norcalrockhunter, sure would like to see a picture of your rig, it sounds really cool and can carry what you need. thanks in advance for posting a picture. 8) 8) ron

RAMITHOME

Greenie
Dec 11, 2009
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500PRO, GARRETT LS INFINIUM, PULSE STARll PRO
I have a Polaris UTV (seats 3) and I love it. Great on the beach and also in the desert. Its a 700
and has all the power you will ever need. I had a winch (4000lb.) installed and larger wheels (14")
goes anywhere and will climb walls. Not to bad on gas, about a gallon per hour.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
After owning my atv for several yrs now,if I was to get another it would be a 4-wheeler,like a gator.I'm always wishing I had more cargo room and the gator types will go anywhere the others will.Our biggest problem here in MO now is with the gas!It is so dirty that you have to continually be cleaning the system.The guys with all the boats are having fits on Truman Resevoir and Lake of Ozarks.Is the gas cleaner out there?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
warsawdaddy said:
After owning my atv for several yrs now,if I was to get another it would be a 4-wheeler,like a gator.I'm always wishing I had more cargo room and the gator types will go anywhere the others will.Our biggest problem here in MO now is with the gas!It is so dirty that you have to continually be cleaning the system.The guys with all the boats are having fits on Truman Resevoir and Lake of Ozarks.Is the gas cleaner out there?

Noooo My boat is having a hard time of the gas is runs like crud. I have been buying the no ethanol and its ok. The 4 wheeler is not as sensitive it seems

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Well here I go lol....... I live in an area where people drive 4 wheelers more than their cars and trucks and have had an opportunity to speak to alot of owners on the good and bad of many brands, The one that I hear the very most praise about is the Can AM. Guys who have been running other brands for years can't say enough good about it. As for the posts I seen here about the bad gas and boats, the problem is the ethanol in the fuel, older motors and I mean ones over 5 years old use fuel lines made of rubber that breaks down on contact with ethanol thus bad dirty fuel. Becareful on what gas your buying for those toys!

Slipperyjack47

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slipperyjack47 said:
Well here I go lol....... I live in an area where people drive 4 wheelers more than their cars and trucks and have had an opportunity to speak to alot of owners on the good and bad of many brands, The one that I hear the very most praise about is the Can AM. Guys who have been running other brands for years can't say enough good about it. As for the posts I seen here about the bad gas and boats, the problem is the ethanol in the fuel, older motors and I mean ones over 5 years old use fuel lines made of rubber that breaks down on contact with ethanol thus bad dirty fuel. Becareful on what gas your buying for those toys!

Slipperyjack47

My boat is a 2007 and oil injected. Its the ethanol not the lines. It gums the carbs. I buy clean gas and it runs great. Everyone that fishes tournaments was experiencing the same things. I have never heard of a can am. We are 4 wheeler country here also in the mtns with hundreds of dealers. Hmmm I will google them. Have fun.
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread