ToddB64
Sr. Member
- Joined
- Jan 7, 2007
- Messages
- 421
- Reaction score
- 73
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Georgetown, Ohio, USA
- Detector(s) used
- Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
- #1
Thread Owner
Audio Only And Most Audio-Visual Metal Detectors Are "Beep and Dig" IMHO !
I know I'm probably setting myself up to get "kicked-in-the-head" with this one !
But let's get real folks, even the great Tabdog digs lots of junk from the Tot Lots, along with all the valuable jewelry.........look at the photos accompanying his posts.......what does that tell you ? I give him credit though for being humble and honest, showing the bad along with the good.
All the different tones made by various metals are only suggestions of what could actually be in the ground. For example, if it sounds like a pull tab, it could be a gold ring of a certain "K" value ! Conclusion : I better dig to be sure. So, I'm operating on the beep and dig principle.....right ?
Just used Tabdog to make a point here..........actually he is my MD'ing hero ! In fact, I just recently bought a new Tesoro Compadre and will be "beeping and digging" the Tot Lots of parks in my area, hoping to mimic his success, on a much smaller scale of course.
If any part of this post has offended anyone, I apologize in advance, especially to Tabdog for assuming to use him in my above example without previous permission.
Opinions on the subject are naturally welcome !
ToddB64
I know I'm probably setting myself up to get "kicked-in-the-head" with this one !

But let's get real folks, even the great Tabdog digs lots of junk from the Tot Lots, along with all the valuable jewelry.........look at the photos accompanying his posts.......what does that tell you ? I give him credit though for being humble and honest, showing the bad along with the good.
All the different tones made by various metals are only suggestions of what could actually be in the ground. For example, if it sounds like a pull tab, it could be a gold ring of a certain "K" value ! Conclusion : I better dig to be sure. So, I'm operating on the beep and dig principle.....right ?
Just used Tabdog to make a point here..........actually he is my MD'ing hero ! In fact, I just recently bought a new Tesoro Compadre and will be "beeping and digging" the Tot Lots of parks in my area, hoping to mimic his success, on a much smaller scale of course.
If any part of this post has offended anyone, I apologize in advance, especially to Tabdog for assuming to use him in my above example without previous permission.
Opinions on the subject are naturally welcome !
ToddB64
I started with a bounty hunter (digging everything!), then an Ace 350 and now have a mine lab E-Trac I got from Woodland. I love the thing, but it's just basically an educated guess as to what is under the ground- I've been fooled by good tones before (after all who hasn't dug a matchbox car or 10?)- I can say that since the higher end detector my percentage of trash has dropped, but I still dig junk, it's part of the fun! I can say that the higher end detector does give me more of an objective idea as to what might be in the ground/ telling me FE/CO #'s- but a thin piece of sheet metal will fool any machine- but the good news is you have a good idea where the object is, and how deep it is- the fun part is recovering that object in question. one of the best things about recovering things / good or bad- is the finding that object! it's like saying 'wow' mystery solved I know now what was making that noise!!! 







