What's new

Authenticating Gold Earrings!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2013
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
1,221
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.
I recently dug an earring that was not marked. I searched everywhere, I thought! The color of the gold is soooo dark, I wrongly thought it to be 18k. I discovered the makers mark next to a star symbol, but no gold content "stamp"?
Recently, I've completed structural work on a local pawnshop with success. I naturally return for confirmation. I got "schooled" today from my new friend at the pawnshop!!!
I walk into this place of business proclaiming no gold, 10k, 14k, 18k, etc., stamp is on my earring. My new friend immediately says, "that's a nice "rose gold" earring. I say, WT#*+% is rose gold. He explained. I still say, "dude, there's no gold stamp!". He then asks, "did you check the earring post? Well no, I say, it's too small? He checks, and Yes!, 10k is actually stamped on the post!?. I had no idea. Makes sense though for posts to be "pure" metal, as the post penetrates skin. Less allergic reaction to skin/ear.
Also, the darkness of the 10k gold, lead me to believe it was 18k? Who woulda thought, rose gold?
Happy New Year !
Peace
 
Yes, earrings are so small that sometimes the mark is tiny, tiny. I have a heavy duty magnifying glass, but also a Mizar electronic gold tester that I use on my potential gold finds.
 
many pieces of precious metal were never marked...until the law went into effect.

the earlier the piece, the less chance a mark will exist.
 
Thanks SusanMN! I also have a Mizer. Mine is a ET-18. I purchased it from Kellyco bout 3yrs ago. I must admit, it works great. But this one small earring tricked it?
I will soon purchase a stone/scratch acid tester.
Unless,Tiffany n Co., is identifiable I will use a scratch stone.
Happy New Year, GL, HH.
Peace
 
Thanks pippenwhitepaws! I agree. This small earring is new. I was simply stunned that I've never looked at earring posts for "hallmarks"? Happy New Year! Peace
 
You have to check it all over, they sometimes put the marking in the darnedest places, like the back of the earring that is no longer with the earring! Then test it?
Congrats on having the real deal!
 
Thanks MSbeepbeep! I've collected and sold small amounts of gold, usually jewelry, since the late 80s. Until yesterday, I thought I knew where any/every hallmark is located? What a dummy I am.
Good thing is, I have a small box of dug "bling" that needs reexamination. ;)
Happy New Year! Peace
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom