Awesome 1800s Silver Medallion

nkellam22

Feb 9, 2019
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently came across a post on Facebook talking about a lost ring. It gave the location of where it was most likely lost so naturally, I went over to go look for it. Sadly the park was way too crowded to hunt in at the moment so I decided to hop on over to the nearest piece of grass I could find to kill a couple of hours until the area was less crowded. I settled for a random, small, and empty corner side park not expecting much at all. Within 45 minutes or so I managed a couple of modern coins and a musket ball. It was going pretty much as I expected but around an hour into the hunt I got a blaring high tone and to my surprise, it was a silver Firemans medal from 1882. Apart from that I also got a 10 centimes coin from 1901 but after the medal, I was more than happy with the hunt. It was getting dark sooner than I imagined so I decided to head on home for the day. I'll look for the ring next time.

IMG_5176 2.jpeg IMG_5178.jpeg

1882 Silver Federation des sapeurs pompiers (Federation of firefighters) medal from Luxembourg.
IMG_5179.jpeg IMG_5181.jpeg IMG_5183.jpeg
IMG_5147.png

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_5176.jpeg
    IMG_5176.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5176.jpeg
    IMG_5176.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
Upvote 29

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Very nice. I hope you find the ring as well. Good luck to you and thanks for sharing.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice piece of silver along with a great hunt, congrats! :occasion14:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool medal and coins! Thanks!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a beautiful silver medallion, congrats on the recovery.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice medal, but I doubt it's from the 1800s.

The 1882 date is for the foundation of the Federation des Sapeurs Pompiers (some sources say 1883), not the date of issue of the medal itself. The Federation is a not-for-profit association that brought together the more than two hundred professional, voluntary and works fire brigades of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg with the aim of protecting their interests, promoting their image and ensuring the future of the Ecole Nationale du Service d’Incendie et de Sauvetage at Niederfeulen.

As I understand it, the silver medal was awarded after 20 years of service in one of its member arms... so not before 1902/3 (?) and they continued to be issued long after that. I'm not sure when they stopped issuing them in that design.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That medallion is a beauty. Congrats!

OP
OP
nkellam22

nkellam22

Feb 9, 2019
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice medal, but I doubt it's from the 1800s.

The 1882 date is for the foundation of the Federation des Sapeurs Pompiers (some sources say 1883), not the date of issue of the medal itself. The Federation is a not-for-profit association that brought together the more than two hundred professional, voluntary and works fire brigades of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg with the aim of protecting their interests, promoting their image and ensuring the future of the Ecole Nationale du Service d’Incendie et de Sauvetage at Niederfeulen.

As I understand it, the silver medal was awarded after 20 years of service in one of its member arms... so not before 1902/3 (?) and they continued to be issued long after that. I'm not sure when they stopped issuing them in that design.

Thanks a lot for the info Red-Coat. Guess I should have known it wasn't as old as I thought but I was blinded by hope. Still an awesome find though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread