Awesome Day in the Uk! 😆 xx

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
So today we took the Monks Head to the local museum for research, the FLO lady asked if I wanted to bring anything else in… so we took about 35 bits and pieces in! Don’t think she was expecting that 😂 but it will be fab to get things logged and identified, as and when I get answers I will of course update the previous posts, one exciting item I found, she thinks could possible be part of a stirrup which would be pretty awesome.

so after that excitement, we headed off to re stock the stash! Only had a couple of hours in the field we have done before, when I say it’s full of lead, it really is😅 so many beeps and much digging, but we did find some cool stuff…. Well to be fair I did, his contribution is the crotal bell, all the others came to me😆 xx

broken crotal bell, lead disk, possible pot leg and pot mend? But not sure, 2 musket balls ( which takes our total to 287! A thimble, think this may be the No top type? Small disk, which is interesting as I’ve found one before in this field 🤔 then a William the 3rd think the date is 1823…. last but not least a beautiful Elizabeth 1st 1567!

The pictures today are from our trip home from the museum to show you a different part of the county! I cannot do justice to this stunning field of poppies, honestly breathtaking xx

IMG_7451.jpeg
IMG_7453.jpeg
IMG_7454.jpeg
IMG_7456.jpeg
IMG_7457.jpeg
IMG_7458.jpeg
IMG_7459.jpeg
IMG_7460.jpeg
IMG_7462.jpeg
IMG_7463.jpeg
IMG_7443.jpeg
IMG_7442.jpeg
IMG_7441.jpeg
IMG_7446.jpeg
IMG_7447.jpeg

Upvote 28

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
What a wonderful place for those loving history and landscape beauty to have the freedom of! That silver coin is outstanding!
It's great to have a competent official body which works with detectorists like your museum.
The small disc in the picture before the halfpenny looks like a lead bullet that was fired directly at something hard and it "splashed". The marks around the edge appear to have been made by rifling in the gun bore. There appear to be 8 or 9 of the marks and they are quite deep, and that, with information about the weight and diameter might allow IDing the type of firearm it was fired from.

OP
OP
blossom

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
What a wonderful place for those loving history and landscape beauty to have the freedom of! That silver coin is outstanding!
It's great to have a competent official body which works with detectorists like your museum.
The small disc in the picture before the halfpenny looks like a lead bullet that was fired directly at something hard and it "splashed". The marks around the edge appear to have been made by rifling in the gun bore. There appear to be 8 or 9 of the marks and they are quite deep, and that, with information about the weight and diameter might allow IDing the type of firearm it was fired from.
Thank you xxx Here is the previous one i found showing the back on scale… 1cm..

IMG_7466.jpeg
IMG_7465.jpeg

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the picture of the other disc. The back looks like it made a high-speed impact with something, which strengthens my original speculation. The flatter space in the middle of the impacted area could be the bottom of a hollow point and the partial rim the outside ring of the hollow point. All speculation base on observation and some experience, of course. There may be someone in England who is familiar with the type of bullet and firearm it was used in.
Are the squares 1"? The actual bullet diameter probably would be about the diameter of the raised ring in the centre and that looks like about 6 marks out of 10 or about 60 calibre, which is close to the size of bullet for several old guns including British Enfield rifled muskets. I'm not sure what their rifling was like, but that information should be available.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love those pictures of poppies with the fresh cut hay in the background and all the fantastic finds your making! May your good hunting continue! Thanks for cheering us all with such photos.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Such a gorgeous place to find such epic things! I am so jealous!! Congrats!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today we took the Monks Head to the local museum for research, the FLO lady asked if I wanted to bring anything else in… so we took about 35 bits and pieces in! Don’t think she was expecting that 😂 but it will be fab to get things logged and identified, as and when I get answers I will of course update the previous posts, one exciting item I found, she thinks could possible be part of a stirrup which would be pretty awesome.

so after that excitement, we headed off to re stock the stash! Only had a couple of hours in the field we have done before, when I say it’s full of lead, it really is😅 so many beeps and much digging, but we did find some cool stuff…. Well to be fair I did, his contribution is the crotal bell, all the others came to me😆 xx

broken crotal bell, lead disk, possible pot leg and pot mend? But not sure, 2 musket balls ( which takes our total to 287! A thimble, think this may be the No top type? Small disk, which is interesting as I’ve found one before in this field 🤔 then a William the 3rd think the date is 1823…. last but not least a beautiful Elizabeth 1st 1567!

The pictures today are from our trip home from the museum to show you a different part of the county! I cannot do justice to this stunning field of poppies, honestly breathtaking xx

View attachment 2090009 View attachment 2090010 View attachment 2090011 View attachment 2090012 View attachment 2090013 View attachment 2090014 View attachment 2090015 View attachment 2090016 View attachment 2090017 View attachment 2090018 View attachment 2090019 View attachment 2090020 View attachment 2090021 View attachment 2090022 View attachment 2090023
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread