Awsome Beach Hunting Video

Treasure Detector

Feb 9, 2007
Mechanicsville
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 70
TreasureTales and anyone that I have offended, I do apologize for any offence that I may have presented on this forum. I “NEVER” meant to insult or to be rude towards anyone. This is not my nature. I never said anything to Sandman and I only directed a response to the Sleeper. Sleeper, I realize I was wrong. And I do apologize and trust we can learn from each other and the forum. I do think that because this was the first time I posted, my statement came across as a sword and so did the statement I read. What about it Sleeper, Accept?

T

TreasureTales

Treasure Detector said:
TreasureTales and anyone that I have offended, I do apologize for any offence that I may have presented on this forum. I “NEVER” meant to insult or to be rude towards anyone. This is not my nature. I never said anything to Sandman and I only directed a response to the Sleeper. Sleeper, I realize I was wrong. And I do apologize and trust we can learn from each other and the forum. I do think that because this was the first time I posted, my statement came across as a sword and so did the statement I read. What about it Sleeper, Accept?

That's better. Now I say to you with all sincerity...WELCOME TO TREASURE NET. Hope you'll post pictures of some of your finds when you get the time. This website is populated with lots of great folks and interesting info, enjoy!!

OP
OP
B

BeachHugger

Sep 13, 2006
First, let me say that you will never find a more likeable, fun-loving bunch of guys than the ones who metal detector on North Carolina's Outer Banks. I know most of them and they have been by far the best part of my hobby for over 35 years.

Second, my videos (which I have just started pulling out of the cobwebs) are placed on the internet for people to enjoy, not for instructional purposes and definitely not for bragging purposes. If I (we) wanted to brag about our finds, we would keep the videos off the net and brag to ourselves....which we do, :)...from time to time. :)

I hope to put more videos on YouTube....I've enjoyed the videos posted by other metal detectors and thought, maybe, they might enjoy some of mine.

I'm glad that you guys have made up...and this statement is not meant to stir the flame again....but, in all fairness...I don't think it was any more wrong for Treasure Detector to jump to the rescue of the guy in the video (after all, he knows/hunts with that guy)...than it was wrong for some of you to look past the enjoyment of the video and go after some guy's hunting technique. Anyone could see it was a two minute take on what was a full day's hunt. And, yes, a lot more was found than shown in the video. Also, the video was not taken on Pea Island...that is federal property and off limits to detectors.

Thanks for the welcome back to TreasureNet....look forward to getting to know all of you again, as time will permit.

BeachHugger

Attachments

• Pic00020 (Small).jpg
    Pic00020 (Small).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 716

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to say that I enjoyed the video on hunting NC. Outer Banks an wish we could see lots more of any detecting anywhere. When I mentioned that the method of hunting was not the best way, I meant only that newcomers to our hobby should view the swinging technique as an example. One picture is worth a thousand words and we have said it again and again that you should keep the coil even with the ground for max. coverage is all. It was meant a an instructional statement.

I have hunted the Banks myself an might have met some of these hunters in the past. I may have been critiqued as I crawled back out of the water exhausted. I will look forward to seeing more videos from you.

HH,
Sandman

OP
OP
B

BeachHugger

Sep 13, 2006
Cool, Sandman
Thanks for the reply. :)

As to water hunting the Outer Banks beaches -- in all my years, I have never known anyone to be successful at it....I tried it as a young man (I'm now 65) with my first underwater detector...and found it to be nearly impossible, even in the summertime, with the strong onshore waves/currents/ and quick dropoffs....Winter months are far worse.

If you have hunted our beaches as a water-hunter, I would really like to hear about how it went. I am sure that in the summer one could do quite well if they could master the elements.

One of these photos has been doctored....I am sure you can tell which one. :)

Attachments

• guyinwash (Small).jpg
    guyinwash (Small).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 703
  • guy4.jpg
    guy4.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 703
OP
OP
B

BeachHugger

Sep 13, 2006
These photos were taken in September 2006....not a storm...

Attachments

• IMG_0064levels (Small).jpg
    IMG_0064levels (Small).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_0058 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0058 (Small).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 708

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK lil bit long here:

To beachhugger, i hope from our above post any misunderstandings between us were resolved, and i welcome you to Tnet.

To treasure detector, I accept your apology, and welcome you to Tnet.

I did make a statement, after what i perceived as remarks towards Sandman were made. As i said earlier i respect him for his sincerity towards helping anyone and everyone that he can, especially new members just trying to learn our great hobby. I can see that misunderstandings were made on all parts now and so i hold no ill feelings toward any of the members involved.

I enjoyed the video that you posted beachhugger, i never crit anyone that is out there hunting, thats just not in my nature. I posted my first reply thinking you were asking advice on the OBX, and since i had lived there and hunted it hard for 9 years i was trying to be helpful. I love the OBX but as i said in my first post the tourest just aren`t stacked in tight enough to really make it a great hunting area in my opinion. The best areas i found down there were the corolla area and the public beach access points in KDH the ones with the paving stone parking lots. There is one honey hole i remember that always produced, but i cannot pull it out of the top of my mind at the moment, i ll think about it and pm one of you 2 with it when i remember it, but it was almost always good for one or two pieces of jewelry per hunt.

I did go back after i started my business with both my sovi and excal hitting the water alot but it really just never produced for me, like say Va bch or other spots, thats why i came to the conclusion that the vacationers down there left there good jewelry items in there condos or beachboxs instead of wearing them on the beach like others do elsewhere. I know alot of people are Leary of leaving nice jewelry in motels/hotels so they tend to take the chance and wear there jewelry on the beach, much to our benefit.

As far as the wrecks go i never could figure out why, with as many wrecks as the OBX had near its coast more treasure was not found. There have been as many if not more off the OBX coast as FLA has had but min treasure has been found, hence my statement that perhaps since the island has shrunk since the 1700-1800 most the treasure possibly is well offshore. I spent many hours researching and hunting for only min finds and nothing was that great, regrettably. During the time i lived down there i had early beach access after any storm, (i worked for one of the townships at that time, and yes please say hello to ray ray for me) but due to my detectors not being water machines i was not able to really hunt the beach`s during or right after any storms we had. After i moved away i lost my early access privileges and really never made it back during or right after a hard nor easter to really work the beach`s for blown up/unburied treasure like you all did in the video.

Again in all sincerity i welcome both of you to Tnet, as soon as i can uncover my old notes pertaining to the OBX i ll let you know. I know i missed alot with the machine i had during my years there an ancient whites circa 70`s model, and later with a 6000 pro which was alot better but i got it right before leaving. If i can be of any assistance for the knowledge i gained from those years there please let me know.

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
:-\Cool video but I wonder with all the wrecks off the outer banks over the years how the heck did they manage to find a gold coin and an 18ct bracelet? I just figured they brought some treasure with them to enhance the video, so what it's still fun and I'm sure there is lots of treasure to be found.

OP
OP
B

BeachHugger

Sep 13, 2006
Three things are clear, Jangles :)

(1) You don't know these hunters. :)
(2) You haven't visited the website :)
http://www.outerbanksnc.net
(3) You haven't ever seen the video - Treasure Trips :)

I believe their saying is...."We don't walk the walk or talk the talk, we just find treasure"

I assume that after time passes they also like to share good hunting trips/stories with their friends. I know, for sure, they are pretty great guys/hunters. :)

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I love the video it is awesome looks like you guys had a good day. I would guess that is north close to the VA line. I have been coming to the Outer Banks to fish play and metal detect for over 15 years. Great area you live in. I am down every year 4th of July do pretty good every year except last year and found a few silver coins last year as the beach was destroyed the 4th. Always watch the fireworks on Manteo on the 4th. Back every fall for some detecting and fishing. Maybe we could get together some time for some detecting. Always wanted to detect on Manteo for civil war stuff. Wish I would have been there when they did the grading for the new court house.

Daisy

Apr 16, 2006
Ontario, Canada
thanks Jangles. You boys had my hopes soaring with those finds since I'm heading to Cape Ann this Summer. :-\
Great video by the way. Thanks for sharing.

Treasure Seeker

Sep 7, 2005
Appleton, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't find me criticizing anybody that is actually out there doing it... I'm nothing but a wannabee right now.... Itching for the time when I actually get out there to do it.

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
This is a great forum,lots of advice, you guys are great. live in the present my friends for every second is the beginning of the rest of your life. what a wonderful hobby,swing away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread