Awsome Beach Hunting Video

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived on the outer banks for 9 years. The hunting isn`t that good down there, totally different mindset of the people. They are mainly renters for the condos, beachhouses, versus hotelers/motelers, condo people usually leave there valubles at the condo, versus motelers/hotelers don`t trust the motel/hotels to leave there items in the room. Plus the population on the outer banks doesn`t pack alot of people in one space to help generate alot of finds, very spread out. U can hunt from corolla to nags head, just don`t cross the bridge and try working any of the beaches, its all pea island state park all the way down to ocracoke.

There have been recorded numerious wrecks along the outer banks, to many to try listing, but i never found any lost booty. You have to take into consideration the island has shrunk since the 1700-1800`s, perhaps most of the treasure from the wrecks is well offshore now. Even after hurricanes and nor easters i never found anything good. For those of you that don`t know the history, wreckers would tie a lantern around the neck of a mule or horse and lead it down the dunes, for those offshore it looked like a ship raising and dropping on the swells, enticing them futher in only to end up running aground or taking the bottom out. Hence the name nags head.

Looking at that video, this must have been after a cane the dune is cut looks like maybe 10 feet sheer cliff, also unless i miss my guess that area they are hunting is on pea island, maybe lower nags head but i don`t think so.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice video to teach the wrong way to sweep a metal detector. Notice how he swings it pendulum style with it up higher at the ends.... He only had depth right in front of him where the coil is even with the sand. This is how many miss so much and wonder why others find more. LOL.

HH,
Sandman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Looks to me he wasn't concentrating on detecting at all, just swinging just to swing.
Maybe he thought he was golfing????? :D

OP
OP
B

BeachHugger

Sep 13, 2006
I went back and looked at the video again. It seems to me that the hunter was using a good swing in the first part of the video and, perhaps, a little too much lift in the last part. But, consider this....he was hunting in a storm, it must have been cold as the dickens and he was wrapped up like an eskimo. Also, I noted he found some cool stuff...and maybe more than was shown in the video. Are we being too hard on him?

Treasure Detector

Feb 9, 2007
Mechanicsville
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 70
Funny how some people will take their time to judge a 2 minute video and critique it to try to find as many faults as they can. Looks like these guys had a great day on the Outer Banks. Don’t let “The Sleeper” misinform you. A good beach hunter will know what to look for while detecting. Sounds like he only knew how to dry sand hunt. I too have found myself high swinging on my way to the next cut. But with the finds that was in this video, I can bet the coil was close to the ground and moving slow when they got serious. With the hard northeaster winds and a short low tide, sometimes walking fast to cover more distance will occur. You can almost bet that the next high tide will have brought in more sand and cover any unfound treasures. Hats off to you Pirates on the Outer Banks. Keep having fun and finding the treasure….. And yes, Did I see a gold coin in the video?

OP
OP
B

BeachHugger

Sep 13, 2006
Looked like a gold coin to me also. :D
Someone must have done something right that day, I'd say.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I have to give 'em credit for just being out in that nasty stuff, didn't look to be too much fun.
The finds sure help with the situation though, Congrats!

And, What is with all that foam, is that natural, or is that pollutants in the water?
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I have been guilty of sloppy swinging too. I just pointed it out for the newcomers to our hobby that weren't shown the way to keep the coil level. At least they are able to get out an enjoy the hunt and find some targets.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Quote Treasure Detector" Don’t let “The Sleeper” misinform you. A good beach hunter will know what to look for while detecting. Sounds like he only knew how to dry sand hunt.

Nice first post there, first post and u are insulting me.... GEEEZZZZZZ

I can allready tell your a real winner.

And while I`m on this both treasure detector and beachhugger, Sandman happens to be one of the foremost beach and water detectorest on this forum, I really doubt either of you have found half what he has. He needs to make no apologies or try to explain his reasons for his statements, which i might add are correct swinging like a clock pendulum is not the correct way.

Also if you look at the video real close u can see it has been done over severial different days, middle of a nor` easter, calm but overcast, then windy and sunny.

OP
OP
B

BeachHugger

Sep 13, 2006
Sultan,
I didn't mean to throw a dead horse out to be beaten.
Sorry about that.
But, I think the "swinging style" in question in the video as all done at the same time, same place.
And, I bet that guy's toes were freezing.

Who is the sandman? I'm new here.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It`s kool beachhugger, Sandman posted right above my last post. He is a very knowledgeable man, and has helped alot of people. Its just you posted then treasure detector posted slating some mud so i wasn`t the happiest when i posted that, i sorta went after u and him both, so no offense.

OP
OP
B

BeachHugger

Sep 13, 2006
Oh,,,,,,I didn't think you were going after me....I took no offense .....didn't agree with you....but took no offense. ::)

Treasure Detector

Feb 9, 2007
Mechanicsville
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 70
I guess everyone has to have their first post at any forum. Please do not hold that against me. The first post was the video, I just responded to the second post. This is one of the best hobbies in the world. Luck or skill, it is all in a good day's hunt. My intentions were not to upset anyone. Let's move on and share our experiences and learn from each other rather than critique our faults.
Hey BeachHugger, Look like you guys had a lot of fun. I have a few treasures from that area too. I’ll share a few later.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sleeper, thank you for the kind words. We all sometimes over react because we can not see each other's expressions or use these emoticons well. Mostly this is the only forum I visit as it is the most civil. Thanks guys.......

Take Care,
Sandman

JUDGEJIM

Feb 9, 2007
Actually, I thought the video was awesome, must have been in the winter time since they were bundled up so much, wish I coulda been there too.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edited due to apoligies being made and what has been said is in the past not the present nor the future.

T

TreasureTales

BeachHugger, thanks for the video. It is always enjoyable to watch people looking for treasure...not as fun as doing it myself, but still enjoyable. LOL Looks like the guys in the video found some very nice things. Are you one of them? Just curious to know how much was found.

Whoever the fellow is in the video, I give him much credit for being out on a blustery day. That sea water is cold and that sea foam is a bit frustrating to deal with, I know. Sure, his technique wasn't always the greatest, but he found treasure and that's what we're all aiming for.

Sandman is an experienced and helpful treasure hunter, and TheSleeper is somebody I would be willing to detect with any time. They add much to this forum and I respect what each of them says. For someone to come on here and criticize either or both of them in such a needless way is troublesome for me. Treasure Detector, it's fine to question someone's statements, experience, motive, and success but please do so in a less hostile and antagonistic manner...unless you've already been here awhile and we know a little more about you. You've started off on the wrong foot, maybe you'll prove yourself a less critical person as things progress, at least I hope so. I will say, your attempt to get back on track was significant, although an apology to Sandman and The Sleeper might have been appropriate, too. But I agree, let's get on with sharing, which is what BeachHugger did when he posted the link to the video and I thank him for doing so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread