B,E, &D baggage tag

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
B,E, &D baggage tag

I just recovered this baggage tag on a farm overlooking the James River in Virginia. According to the Virginia Canals and Navigation people, it's from the Bailey, Edwards, and Davenport company, who ran packet boats up and down the James River from Richmond to Lynchburg, Va. via the James River and Kanawha Canal during the early 1800's. They told me there are only three known--one in the Rockbridge Museum, one found in a sunken packet boat in Richmond, and this one! I just wanted to share my excitement--probably not real valuable, but definitely a piece of history! Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• P1010353.JPG
    P1010353.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 539
Upvote 0
Re: B,E, &D baggage tag

WOW! Thats very cool!

Does the number relate to the packet boat number?If so,you should try and see what happened to that specific boat.

warsawdaddy said:
Does the number relate to the packet boat number?If so,you should try and see what happened to that specific boat.
I'm not sure, but will definitely be checking on it! Thanks!

sandals55 said:
only three and you have one?? I would be happy with that!!
Thanks so much--I feel VERY fortunate!

Nice find ! Some of those tags go for big money to collectors ! A rare one can be very valuable ! Don't sell this find short ! heck of a find ! MaineRelic

MaineRelic said:
Nice find ! Some of those tags go for big money to collectors ! A rare one can be very valuable ! Don't sell this find short ! heck of a find ! MaineRelic
Thanks for the info!!! The tag is currently on display in our local museum.

:icon_thumleft: Rare and interesting !! Nice work and Congrats . The letters and numbers have a cool old look > Maybe you will get some permission from the museum to hunt some other historical places. CMDdawg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back