southerngrwn

Greenie
Jul 6, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Vintage Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I put my detector away around 6 years ago. I really don't know why other than my life just became extra busy. A few weeks ago I decided to dig it out and see if it would even come on. Put some batteries in my old Eagle Spectrum and it fired right up! I called an old metal detecting friend of mine and we did about a 4 hour hunt. My vintage detector didn't disappoint either. Ended up finding 2 silver Washington quarters and 4 mercury dimes! Also had a couple of wheaties. I took the picture before finding the last mercury. Not bad for a return hunt! I really had a great time and realized how much I love this hobby. We are going back tomorrow to give it another shot.

57142422043__CA53EB27-3933-44E8-9DC4-DD30BC2C113B.JPG

Upvote 34

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the feeling. Love it !!!! Nice haul of silver for your first day back. Welcome back to the world of joy & wonder. Happy hunting !

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to be back Im sure!! gotta have a good balance in life. Great start Tommy

Dennis1209

Dec 23, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Etrac & NOX 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the feeling. I got rid of my detectors a decade ago because I retired and moved to the country. I figured I'd be too busy with my retirement activities. Wrong! Seems that craving / addiction of pulling nice silver and relics out of the ground never goes away? I believe I have what is called "Silver Addiction Dilemma" (SAD) as the acronym. There's an one day at a time 'twelve step' program' that helps. Getting an old silver every twelve steps every day :laughing7:

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW...with a handful of silvers, I believe I would find time to hunt also. Welcome back Mr. Kotter and Congrats.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the silver! :occasion14:

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NICE....That "full obverse rim" on the 1934 Quarter is a 2nd year issue Washington quarter that started in 1932 and the Mint did not issue any in 1933 - so, excellent find. AND to find 6 silver coins in one day by ANYONE with any kind of detector is an "ACE" detectorist in my book-- GOOD JOB, my friend & Welcome Back!. BILL

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hooked!!! again, that's a killer hunt for being out of the swing for that long, congratulations on all the saves & welcome back

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you! I quit for a while also and just got back into it a couple of years ago. Nice silver finds on your first hunt! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear ya. I didn’t detect for 26 yrs and got back in a few years ago. Not a lot of free time though with the kids sports and such. I’m counting the years until I can go hard core!

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 (Stock Coil)
Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Minelab X-Terra Pro (Stock Coil)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful finds. Nothing like the glint of silver. Good to see your detector is still ready for the hunt, and it seems the owner still has what it takes to pull the silver! People can say what they want but White's units are built like tanks. They may not be pretty and streamlined like the newer stuff today but what you just witnessed is a testament to their build quality. How many of the new detectors today can sit in storage with their rechargeable batteries for years and still be ready to roll?? That's my only worry with today's detectors- longevity.

OP
OP
southerngrwn

southerngrwn

Greenie
Jul 6, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. We went back and hit the same spot today. The place we've been searching was used by the military in WWII, so it's cool that most of our finds have been 1940 and below. I didn't pull any silver today but did find 6 wheaties some clad and what looks like a button in the shape of a Major's rank insignia. My partner did manage to find two mercs and a silver war nickel. My nine year old also managed to find his first coin on his own so he was stoked! Had a great time.

OP
OP
southerngrwn

southerngrwn

Greenie
Jul 6, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info on the quarter. It's in great shape.

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With those finds, it makes me want to put my metal detector away for while. Not! Great finds and welcome back.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is remarkable comeback hunt for sure ! Those early 30's Washington quarters don't show up too often .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread