Back to Familiar Dirt - The Car is Totally Fixed!

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a couple of weeks ago I decided to fix a bad oil leak on my car that I had been living with for more than 2 years. Last year I thought I'd fixed it by replacing the valve cover gaskets, but the leak proved to be deeper.

First attempt I replaced both cam seals but forgot to add a little RTV to the corners of the gaskets - and it still leaked but not as bad. Bit the bullet three days ago, bought new valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals. Woke up Sunday morning to do the job, and developed a fever and sore throat while replacing everything. Perfect! This slowed me down some, but I was dedicated and stubborn - so sickness or not it was getting done....:BangHead:

Cranked up the car after it was over and it ran perfectly, no leaks. The next day I drove from Colorado to Memphis - 1100 miles one way - and lost exactly ZERO oil over the whole trip :hello2: Normally I would lose about 2 quarts over that distance/time, which is a major gamble on a car with 237K miles. I just got tired of leaking oil everywhere - couldn't even walk in the garage without a fear of stepping into a puddle....

On to the pertinent info....after getting back to Memphis late last night and getting some errands done, dad and I decided to try our luck at a couple rentals today. Both houses were built in 1952, so we knew silver existed there! First house was a little slow...after an hour I finally got onto an older coin spill - 2 high-relief Memorials and 2 Wheats were in the same hole. Out on the curb strip I got a 72-73 with the Deus in the usual 4kHz program, and was surprised to see a sterling earring with the sterling keeper still attached!

Dad and I decided to leave that place - but not before pulling a 1934 Merc from the curbstrip about ten feet from the earring! I asked permission to hunt the neighbor's yard, but was refused since the roommate wasn't home. Oh well - onwards....

The next house was literally 200 feet from the first and was totally shaded. Started off well with a 1964 Rosie, and ten minutes later pulled a Merc. Wheats were coming up by the twos and threes - both dad and I hit pockets of Wheats on a couple of occasions and this kept the excitement alive for a while. we couldn't hit the backyard - too overgrown - but we were both happy to pull what we did. Got another Merc only 2" deep in the same hole with 2 Wheats...

Got some lunch at Huey's...which I've sorely missed since moving to Colorado. That hit my stomach like a lead weight - Memphis DOES have an abundance of good places to fill your gullet while Colorado is more interested in "healthy" alternatives - but to each his own I guess!

Last place we hunted was close to downtown - and we kept our heads on a swivel. We had two 1900-era houses side by side, but the trash was so dense both he and I dug nothing but bottlecaps for the first 20 minutes, and then finally hit a few modern coins...not worth investigating any further due to the neighborhood, so we called it a day.

Picture is kinda low-res, but you get the idea

Tomorrow Tabman and I are hunting a corner lot and comparing signals - should be a fine silver (and gold?) day as well! 8-) NCM_0290 (1).JPG

victorysgold

Feb 24, 2008
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 3.2, Garrett Propointer II,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any day with with silver is a good day. Glad you car is fixed.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I dont blame you about having your head on a swivel in some of those places I was there some years back and there are some rough spots around downtown.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Taylor nice going on the silver. I really enjoy comparing targets with our detectors before digging. You sure know how to find the silver!

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread