What's new

Back to the corn field and a counterstamped LC

Jyverb64

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2012
Messages
952
Reaction score
1,186
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The farmer said I could go anytime and the corn was just starting to come up. I decided to go deeper into the field and after a couple buttons I got an IH 1864. I only made it about 5 feet and I got a nice Tomback button. Working my way back on the next row as I got close to were I dug the button and IH I got a pretty good sound and it was a LC and I could see it had some kind of mark on it. After I cleaned it up the stamp was clear as well as it was crudely altered on the back. I'll be heading back to that spot in the field!
 

Attachments

  • 1464871738108.webp
    1464871738108.webp
    89.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 1464871757599.webp
    1464871757599.webp
    139.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 1464871784915.webp
    1464871784915.webp
    66.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 1464871853965.webp
    1464871853965.webp
    67.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 1464871888599.webp
    1464871888599.webp
    55.7 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 32
Congrats on the interesting LC
 
I've encountered a similar counter stamp in my research. From what I can recall it was that of a French merchant. Perhaps this coin was used in the Fur Trade and passed through the hands of some French trappers.

The last name of the people living on the property in 1853 was French
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom