Backpacking Sluice Recommendations

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a newbie to this whole prospecting thing, and my sluice choice is based on my geographic area and gold type, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt. I did some research for a portable sluice that fits easy in a backpack, works in low-flow situations, and catches fine Midwestern glacial gold. I settled on an Angus MacKirk Grub Stake. It is well-built, pretty light, and fits nicely into my hiking pack. As I mentioned, my area consists of smaller, low-flow creeks dotted with occasional tiny bits of glacial gold. The AM Grub Stake fits my needs.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Cheap as I am , I prefer to make my own sluice and configurations ! I like ABS plastic and make several different set - ups in matting and riffles to take out for various creek materials . I'd rather have the assortment of set - up's AVA than NOT and lose the fine gold! BUT there again , it's your choice.

Silversurfer79

Dec 24, 2013
Southern, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy my angus mackirk adventurer. Only around 45 bucks or so and catches the fine stuff!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
prospectors chioce .com has a nice one 3 riffle with detachable flair. Fits in the pack with lots of room to spare

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard good things about the AM for ease of transport and capture rates. I think the Recon 2 would fit in your pack.
I recommend getting the Grizzly Gold Trap Motherlode, then put all your backpack items inside it and strap that to your back though. :)

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Any of the plastic drop riffle sluices are great backpacking sluices. I have an AM explorer but my go to backpack sluice is an RCM 10" x 34". A Friend of mine has the 8" x 26". Do a search and you can find them for around $40-$50. Good Luck!

OP
OP
oidium45

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheap as I am , I prefer to make my own sluice and configurations ! I like ABS plastic and make several different set - ups in matting and riffles to take out for various creek materials . I'd rather have the assortment of set - up's AVA than NOT and lose the fine gold! BUT there again , it's your choice.

Any general pics of your setups?

Last edited:

GrizzlyGoldTrap

Feb 24, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
oidium45,

Check out the Nugget (26" length 4lbs) Explorer fluid bed sluices (35.5" length but only 6 lbs) as other options at Grizzlygoldtrap.com

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Angus Mackirk sluice catch the fine stuff great, I have the Forman and it works good even with low water flow you just have to feed it slower. I'm in Indiana so the gold here is about as fine as you can get and they are about the easiest sluice to set up right.

SRP_KBell

Apr 4, 2017
Galt, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oidium45 -

The SRP Recon is 18” long, weighs only 2 lbs and easily fits in a small backpack. Paired with the miners mule to carry pans, classifiers and other small tools, it makes for a very lightweight, compact carry system.

The Recon moves material very quickly yet easily captures 200 minus gold.
Simple to setup, very reasonably priced and meets your needs perfectly.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Angus Mackirk sluice catch the fine stuff great, I have the Forman and it works good even with low water flow you just have to feed it slower. I'm in Indiana so the gold here is about as fine as you can get and they are about the easiest sluice to set up right.

Not sure how well you can see this pic but there's 50-60 colors in there and they were caught on Sunday with an AM Foreman.....LOVE that box!!!! Ditto what Wingmaster said........ P9290004.JPG

X4FRNT

Dec 5, 2019
Salisbury NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check out Carolinaprospecters.net, they have a sluice that is $40 drop riffle style sluice that has the fine v ribbing up top so you can see if you’re in the gold, that’s my number one complaint for the Angus sluices is that they don’t incorporate that into their smaller sluices.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread