Backyard woods finds

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whenever my available detecting time is short and the weather is fine, I play in the back yard. I re-explored some areas and checked a new area. One gunshot cartridge seems different in that the โ€œ12 gaugeโ€ is written along the bottom instead of on NO one side and 10,12, or 16 on the other.

Also an odd iron tool? I will post in โ€œWhat is it?โ€

I believe the spoon is pewter, but cannot find a pattern or age. I am guessing early 1800s.

The buckles throw me...They seem to be iron vs brass or other metal that oxidizes green. and I am not sure what kind of buckle the small one is...shoe buckle? knee buckle? How do we tell?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1603082625.374049.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1603082638.854268.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1603082647.044397.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1603082528.731637.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1603082541.724978.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1603082551.630772.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1603082576.883993.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1603082596.203560.jpg
Thanks for checking it out!

Upvote 21
OK The cartridge I wondered about is W W 12 Gauge and is not that old..late 1940s to 1960s I believe. Winchester.

The other cartridge...REM-UMC Nitro Club 12 GA is 1915-1937 I believe.

Last edited:
Very nice!!! I wish I had your back yard!! The green buckle might be the inerds to a shoe buckle, hard to say from your pic!! Great job

That's a gouging chisel you have. Nice going on the spoon and buckle piece.
It's always nice to retrieve stuff off one's own property-a relaxing dig for sure.
The sq. nails are a pretty good indication of how to date the site, as is coinage, glass.
Added all together and one can formulate an approx.age of habitation. Now the thing that gets the blood flowing is getting a keeper that pre-dates the average finds from the site.
Here's just one link (one of many)that will help date the nails-viewing your sq. nails they look post Rose head types.
Best of luck on your next short of time backyard hunt.
https://www.detecting.us/tips-faqs/nails-dating-sites/

Whenever my available detecting time is short and the weather is fine, I play in the back yard. I re-explored some areas and checked a new area. One gunshot cartridge seems different in that the โ€œ12 gaugeโ€ is written along the bottom instead of on NO one side and 10,12, or 16 on the other.

Also an odd iron tool? I will post in โ€œWhat is it?โ€

I believe the spoon is pewter, but cannot find a pattern or age. I am guessing early 1800s.

The buckles throw me...They seem to be iron vs brass or other metal that oxidizes green. and I am not sure what kind of buckle the small one is...shoe buckle? knee buckle? How do we tell?

View attachment 1872864View attachment 1872865View attachment 1872866

View attachment 1872859View attachment 1872860View attachment 1872861View attachment 1872862View attachment 1872863
Thanks for checking it out!
Lots of cool finds there! Congrats!

Nice finds UW. All I have in my back yard is grass to cut !

That's a gouging chisel you have. Nice going on the spoon and buckle piece.
It's always nice to retrieve stuff off one's own property-a relaxing dig for sure.
The sq. nails are a pretty good indication of how to date the site, as is coinage, glass.
Added all together and one can formulate an approx.age of habitation. Now the thing that gets the blood flowing is getting a keeper that pre-dates the average finds from the site.
Here's just one link (one of many)that will help date the nails-viewing your sq. nails they look post Rose head types.
Best of luck on your next short of time backyard hunt.
https://www.detecting.us/tips-faqs/nails-dating-sites/

Thanks, Pepperj! The nail site is good info and I will be printing that as a reference for other sites as well. Oddly, I havenโ€™t found any trash pits yet! I wondered if the long piece could have been a chisel but was confused by the hook end. There is a foundation on the property and the estimated timeline is the mid 1800s based on historical maps.

Nice finds UW. All I have in my back yard is grass to cut !

LOL...That can be relaxing too if conditions are right. You HAVE tried detecting there, right?

Lots of cool finds there! Congrats!

Thanks, Bart.....All thanks to the Equinox 600 purchased from Big Boys Hobbies...I was too impatient to wait for the 800.

Question..Two people have asked me to search for lost gold articles. (2 very small gold charms and a gold cross). I have spent hours and didnโ€™t find any of them. I tried the 6 inch coil, various sensitivities, Park 1 mostly and park 2. The areas being searched were yards...lots of metal...one yard had lots of fill and a sprinkler system to skirt around The cross was lost 30 years ago in a very large general area. The charms lost in a small area with lawn and garden and pachysandra near a house with a walkway only 3 years ago. Is the equinox 800 better at gold jewelry as well as nuggets? Are there settings on the equinox for optimal gold jewelry finds? I have found on another hunt, one small gold ring so I think the 600 can find it. Thanks! Kim

Thanks, Pepperj! The nail site is good info and I will be printing that as a reference for other sites as well. Oddly, I havenโ€™t found any trash pits yet! I wondered if the long piece could have been a chisel but was confused by the hook end. There is a foundation on the property and the estimated timeline is the mid 1800s based on historical maps.

Oh there's more than likely a trash pit someplace, and an ash pit/outhouse. This where a probe comes in handy, a essential tool for many bottle/pit hunters.
On the property I have probably 8 trash pit areas, as this was just bush with trails running through it and a few working buildings.
Dug out the brick yard clay pit with a very few bottle that survived the rock pleasures of the local kids over the past century.

Looks good to me lots of old old relics gotta be fun every time you hunt there never know whats next. Good job

Looks good to me lots of old old relics gotta be fun every time you hunt there never know whats next. Good job

Thanks, Tommy. Lots of times it is just nails or ox shoes, so it is fun to het something different! There is so much metal in p,aces that people once inhabited!

Nice mix of targets in the woods behind your yard!

Nice finds , you are lucky to have a backyard where there is 1800s things....keep on digging ! The buckle is pretty cool with the sharp point to it

Congrats on the very interesting relic finds! You have a wonderful place to hunt, good luck on future digs! :occasion14:

Nice finds , you are lucky to have a backyard where there is 1800s things....keep on digging ! The buckle is pretty cool with the sharp point to it

Thank you, Diggidaddy...There is always something to dig..mostly nails...but then occasional surprises! ..Itโ€™s nice to go other places as well...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back