Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solid 14 on equinox 600. This came from a new cellar hole. Didnt find too much else but this made my day after trying several other spots and coming up empty handed. This button is a first for me. Back mark is A.M. Peasley Boston

20201019_072823.jpg

20201019_072701.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 34
Wow they don’t come in better condition than that, Congrats!

Apparantly I dug two military buttons yesterday. My father texted me this morning telling me this button is a Maine Militia button. ME4 A2 in Albert's book. Back mark is Imperial Standard. Yeehaw!20201019_081048.jpg
20201019_080819.jpg
20201019_080806.jpg
20201019_080754.jpg

After swinging for decades I've come to the conclusion quality over quantity- sir your's are certainly all of that statement. Congrats on the two fine keepers.

That's a beautiful button. Can't ask for a better condition from the ground. Congratulations!

Beautiful Light Artillery, and the Maine Militia is sweet too!

My gosh that button cleaned up very nicely. Congrats on both of those buttons.

Killer buttons!

Two amazingly buttons and they cleaned up beautifully!
How did you clean them?

Carefully inspected both for what patina was underneath the crud. The artillery had the solid green patina so I used a buffing wheel to slowly remove a few thousands of crud at a time. Then rolled a peroxide swabbed. Then tooth picks. Alternating those. Then finished with ren wax. The militia was a bit more toasty. That was water and tooth brush with a dip in CLR to show any remaining gilt. Then baking soda to neutralize and a water rinse.

Awesome button that will look great in your display case

That is a good un!!

Well Done on the finds and saves of these two fine Historical Military buttons. Great job of cleaning these up. As said, they will show well.

Carefully inspected both for what patina was underneath the crud. The artillery had the solid green patina so I used a buffing wheel to slowly remove a few thousands of crud at a time. Then rolled a peroxide swabbed. Then tooth picks. Alternating those. Then finished with ren wax. The militia was a bit more toasty. That was water and tooth brush with a dip in CLR to show any remaining gilt. Then baking soda to neutralize and a water rinse.
Thanks, SultansOfSwing. I'm always looking for advice on how people clean up some of the more challenging pieces.
Nick

Both buttons are fantastic! Great job on finding and cleaning them. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice buttons and great pic and cleaning.

Two beautiful military buttons
Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back