Other
Office of the Sheriff-Coroner
Public Administrator

Douglas A. Binnewies Joel A. Bibby
Sheriff-Coroner-Public Administrator Undersheriff

Press Release
November 12th, 2014
Jeffery Hotel Fire

Several firefighters are actively fighting fire at the historic Coulterville Jeffery Hotel, located in northern Mariposa County.

A hotel guest phoned the Mariposa County sheriff’s emergency dispatch via 911 to report the smell of smoke in the building at 1:00 a.m. this Wednesday morning. Fire units and sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to the hotel. A second emergency call was received about ten minutes later reporting the hotel was on fire. Reportedly, there was only one room rented and all persons made it out of the hotel safely.

Currently there are about 75 firefighters at the scene representing fire agencies from the Mariposa County area; Mariposa County Fire Department (MCFD), Mariposa Public Utility District (MPUD), CAL FIRE –MMU, CAL FIRE -TCU, and also Mariposa County Sheriff’s Deputies and their volunteer unit SCOPE. The California Highway Patrol and the Mariposa County Road Department is present assisting with traffic and road closures.

The Jeffery Hotel was first built in 1851 to aid stagecoach passengers on their way to Yosemite. The Jeffery reportedly has the oldest operating Saloon in California. The Hotel burned down three times prior to 1889. The Jeffery Hotel is a designated landmark located in the historic town of Coulterville, Mariposa County, CA.
Kenny

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG :BangHead: that's horrible as great history behind that hotel. I have movies of it and a few pics stashed away from the 60-70s. Horrendous news but thanx much as I will follow asap-John

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Isn't that the place that used to have all the silver dollars on the wall? I have pictures of myself in front of the silver dollar display back in the late 60's. Someone stole them, I believe it was in the 80's. Hope the damage is not too severe.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
[h=1]Historic Coulterville Hotel Damaged in Fire, Owner Optimistic for Recovery[/h] Posted 6:49 PM, November 12, 2014, by Kay Recede, Updated at 04:20pm, November 12, 2014

[h=1][/h]

COULTERVILLE- The owner of an historic hotel in Coulterville is optimistic about rebuilding the more than 150 year old building which partially burned due to an early morning fire.
But the process may take time and an extensive amount of capital, officials explained.
The blackened windows, the shattered glass – all painful reminders of what should have been a quiet lifestyle for Sara Zahn.
“This is it,” Zahn explained to FOX40 as she pointed at the building.
Zahn has been the owner of the Hotel Jeffery for more than three years. An historic hotel which has served several U.S. Presidents, along with John Muir and Mark Twain.
She said at 1 a.m. she awoke to find her business in flames.
“I was trying to make sure that the guests were out. It was smokey everywhere,” Zahn said.
When she realized all of the hotel guests got out safely, that’s when she tried to take matters into her own hands.
“And then when I saw the fire to try to fight the fire with a hose, you know, I think that’s your immediate response,” Zahn told FOX40.
Her efforts were in vain and proved to be challenging even for experienced firefighters. “It’s been added on to so many different times that there was just so many places we just couldn’t get into,” Cal Fire Captain Gordon Dulcich said.
The blaze finally died several hours later but left an extensive amount of damage. Zahn is shaken but is comforted by friends and hope.
Cal Fire officials said it should take at least a year to rebuild because of the extensive water damage. They add, they have not yet determined a cause.

Filed in: Local News
Topics: Coulterville, Mariposa County

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
promo240113445.jpg

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did the old hotel have a fire sprinkler system? Whether new or old the state of CA it should be mandatory that a sprinkler system is installed due to the nature of its business.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure Keith but if I remember right in historical buildings they're not required. Something to do with changing the historical value of it or something like that. Silly I know..... :dontknow:

I know many of the historical buildings in Old Town San Diego don't have them either. I don't remember if any of them are hotels or not. Mostly museums and such.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is bad news , cryin' shame,,

that old Wild West Saloon is 49 'er history .

Great place and hope the restoration is successful

CMDdawg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread