Parkerized
Jr. Member
- Joined
- Oct 11, 2006
- Messages
- 72
- Reaction score
- 15
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Coastal North Cackylacki
- Detector(s) used
- Equinox 800/ Excalibur 1000/ Nautilus DMC IIB/CZ-6a/ Tejon
CRUSADER said:http://www.vcoins.com/ancient/yorkcoins/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4427
Or it might be this earlier one?

Iron Patch said:CRUSADER said:http://www.vcoins.com/ancient/yorkcoins/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4427
Or it might be this earlier one?
Yep, I see the thistle, looks close. I thought that was both sides of the coin so avoided the first pic, which I thought was the toast side. I'm a pretty good cloud watcher, can almost always see something on a crusty coin that doesn't exist. (The cow)![]()

CRUSADER said:Iron Patch said:CRUSADER said:http://www.vcoins.com/ancient/yorkcoins/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4427
Or it might be this earlier one?
Yep, I see the thistle, looks close. I thought that was both sides of the coin so avoided the first pic, which I thought was the toast side. I'm a pretty good cloud watcher, can almost always see something on a crusty coin that doesn't exist. (The cow)![]()
Yeah, I thought it was both sides. The first picture I could see the Thistle & the second I looked at for awhile trying to work out what the hell it was until I realised it was upside down & the same side as before![]()

CRUSADER said:looks similar to a 1677-79 Scottish Turner (Bodle)
Is is copper & about 20mm?
Also, I need a picture of the reverse, however bad it is, could have small clues!
Crusader,CRUSADER said:Thats a much clearer picture & the positioning of the letters I can make out fit the link I gave.
Scottish Twopence (Turner or Bodle) - 1663. Any known wrecks![]()
Hi...is there a Crown at the top of the thistle?Parkerized said:Crusader,CRUSADER said:Thats a much clearer picture & the positioning of the letters I can make out fit the link I gave.
Scottish Twopence (Turner or Bodle) - 1663. Any known wrecks![]()
100s of wrecks along the coast here. It's known as the Graveyard of the Atlantic. I'll have to do some research to that time frame and see if I can come up with anything. How did you come up with the date?
Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.
If it's a Turner or Bodle, it's survived well for a Hammered Bronze Coin, especially from the seaParkerized said:Not sure. But it looks to be the same shape as Crusader's linked pic.

I didn't mean Hammered as in rough, it's a Hammered coin, as in struck between two dies...with a HammerParkerized said:I meant the shape of the thistle not the overall shape of the coin, it's pretty rough, but I expect it's been sitting in salty sand for over 325 years. When I found it I thought maybe it was a crudded up clad penny,but it was thin so I gave it an electrolosis bath and there was some detail. I'm glad I gave it a second look and I'm glad Crusader has a good eye.
Parkerized said:Crusader,CRUSADER said:Thats a much clearer picture & the positioning of the letters I can make out fit the link I gave.
Scottish Twopence (Turner or Bodle) - 1663. Any known wrecks![]()
100s of wrecks along the coast here. It's known as the Graveyard of the Atlantic. I'll have to do some research to that time frame and see if I can come up with anything. How did you come up with the date?
Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.
