Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK another one from my dad's woods. Back says "Hamlin Co Greensboro NC"

What does the front say? What does it mean? Is that a lower case ornate gothic font "a" or maybe a "d"? Who does that!? This ones been in my drawer for a few years and I've never been able to conclusively answer any of these questions. Please help me get some peace of mind!

buckle.jpg buckle_back.jpg

Thanks for looking!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hamlin Casting has been around over 100 years, and they
made many custom belt buckles over the years. Likely they
were contracted to produce that buckle.

No idea what it says...:dontknow:

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
These were known as “college buckles”, from around 1900-1925, as described here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/392059-f-h-s-buckle.html
I’m fairly sure yours is upside-down, and possibly reads PCSC. Note the usual orientation of the letters relative to the loop from the one in the thread above (also found in Georgia):
EEDDA9A4-83ED-436E-A07C-ED6700282E66.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
OK another one from my dad's woods. Back says "Hamlin Co Greensboro NC"

What does the front say? What does it mean? Is that a lower case ornate gothic font "a" or maybe a "d"? Who does that!? This ones been in my drawer for a few years and I've never been able to conclusively answer any of these questions. Please help me get some peace of mind!

View attachment 1816124 View attachment 1816125

Thanks for looking!

I see dsda.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think nhbenz may be correct on the orientation. The loop on the “S” and the “D” should be at the bottom and the “a” should be upper case (according to the Gothic scripts I looked at). View attachment 1816164 View attachment 1816165

I think you and nhbenz might be right, I couldn't find the exact font but what you found is the closest I've seen. It just doesn't make sense to have a lower case ornate gothic font.

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
They're not lower case... they are squished together to fit on the buckle.
If you remember where you found it, maybe look for colleges, fraternies, city organizations that sort of thing with PCSC in their title.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The buckle is upside-down in the first photos... and therefore the letters are PCSC. Being what the book "American Military Belt Plates" calls a college (or school) buckle, the final letter C probably stands for College... and the SC might be State College.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I’d almost mentioned the same probability about the second C being college, but thought it might be South Carolina as well.... Presbyterian College, South Carolina ? The example below isn’t a match, but maybe something?
797884AE-63F1-446E-8F8F-7B77EE5D2C99.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread