Baffling find after hurricane irene in florida 178 coins one hole

masen231

Sep 1, 2011
After Hurricane Irene missed us here in Florida it did have a huge ocean surge impacting the beaches.

I was searching up were you can see the ocean surge went and running my detector over some of the seaweed hoping to maybe find lost lost jewlery.

My detector went off and I start to dig with my surprise there was a coin, but as I pulled the one coin I noticed about 5 more. I could tell they were old by the condition.

After looking at the coins I saw they were foreign, and not that old around 1980.

My detector went off again same spot so we kept digging. The more we dug the more coins we found. The deeper we dug the older they got.

I am baffled because all of these coins were found in on hole by the time we were done digging it was about 2 feet wide and the last coin we dug up was about 2 feet deep a 1902 Shilling.

Most of the coins are foreign and most dates are in the 1930, 40's and 50's. 178 COINS TOTAL AND 1 BUFFALO ALL IN ONE HOLE.

We did find a 1903 Indian head penny
and also found about 18 foreign coins dated from 1902 to 1922.

I also found one Pueter Buffalo about 1 12 inches deep.
The currency was mixed from coins from France, Germany, Britian, Bahamas, Chile, Panama, Belize, Asian, Canada, Bermuda,Florin,

I don't think they are worth anything will have to investigate. But does anyone have an idea on why so many foreign coins could end up in one spot on the beach in South Florida? several feet down from all years, and from all over, and you can tell by condiotion have been there for quite awhile!

Either way my son and I were excited and think we should check that area a little better. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,398
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,382
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,375
Upvote 0
Very interesting, a lot of those coins could be silver

HH
-GC

Flying saucers. The Bermuda Triangle. Man cannot understand the forces that will cause coins from all over the world to come together for a moment of world peace.

One thing about it, you have an instant coin collection.

a kid took his collection to the beach to play. Tide came in and they disappeared. Happens all the time.

So many mysteries, so little time.

Awesome Find, Congrats! Maybe some kids were playing pirates and forgot where they buried it, :dontknow: .

TommNJ

Nice find! You got what I call a "hurricane cache" or a "flood cache". Here's my theory.......When a hurricane hits, it produces a storm surge that floods the area and takes down buildings, as it recedes it carries debris with it. This debris is left along the course of the receding water as it slows down. Imagine your coins in a container of some sort which has since rotted away. It works the same way for floods along creeks and rivers too.

Just my theory, but I like it, and little pockets of coins and things turn up down here from the floods fairly often.

Yes go back gaurenteed you missed a few!

scaupus said:
a kid took his collection to the beach to play. Tide came in and they disappeared. Happens all the time.

So many mysteries, so little time.

Well, scaupus, you certainly move right along in the continuum! :laughing7:

a pirate hideout to 1980´s ... :wink:
H

scaupus said:

When you say they disappear I hope you are just referring to the coins d not the kid.... :wink:

Congrats on the find and have fun researching them.

NJ

High Plains Digger said:
You mean we can have kids disappear like coins do? Coooooooool.

Will there be a market for a kid detector?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back