Bandit Loot

miserman

Oct 25, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD F-pulse and Tek-Point pinpointers Sunray Pro gold headphones
I have access to the site of an old cabin that I first hunted in the 1980's. While hunting the area 40 years ago with an old TR/VLF detector I was able to find several Indian Head Cents and early Wheat Cents along with a Walking Liberty Half. The site was mostly free of trash and other modern type targets except one small area beneath two large Oak trees. I always avoided this trashy spot when I hunted the site in the past. Although I had given up on the site 40 years ago, I decided to hunt it again with a more modern Fisher F75. After recovering several Indian Heads and Wheat Cents along with a Barber Dime that I had missed, I decided to tackle the trash filled spot. After passing over several low number "iron" signals I hit a loud 45-50 signal that I decided to dig. At about 8" the 2nd scoop of dirt out of the hole revealed the brass padlock that had four obvious bullet damaged areas on it. Directly below the padlock was the V nickel and a Wheat Cent. Although the pinpointer showed no more coins in the hole, a quick swing of the coil and the detector began showing several "weak" high tones within a 4 foot radius of the original hole. All the other coins were found in this 4 foot radius at 8-9 inches. My assumption is that these coins may have been part of some sort of stolen money box from the town area that was located 3-4 miles from the rural cabin site. The Wheat Cents were dated from the teens and with the 1927 Mercury Dime showing very little wear,I feel this "stolen loot" dates from the late 1920's and is spillage that was overlooked in the haste to "take the money and run" ....Thanks for looking

Attachments

• EC1705D3-971E-4F35-B973-931FFC85A9A4.jpeg
    EC1705D3-971E-4F35-B973-931FFC85A9A4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Upvote 7

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very NICE :) Thanks for sharing

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Given the coins value back when they were new , that was a lot of coins for a homesite.
Heaven knows I've found far less , and none at times!

Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread