What's new

Bank Fee Poll

Ryan1979

Full Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2007
Messages
151
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
I'm curious about this because my bank is now charging $4.75 per $500 box of halves in fees. I'm debating whether to get them from somewhere else, or keep going with them until the silver runs out. The 1st box I got from them had (16) 40%'ers in it, so if that stays consistent, then maybe I'll just keep ordering and pay the fees. It still seems like too much, especially when other banks don't charge. Maybe I need to talk to the manager too. I would just open accounts at other banks, but the minimum balances are usually $100, even for savings accounts. That is too much money out of my pocket right now. They had the fees listed right in their brochure that special order coins are $4.75/box. I did order (2) more boxes that will be in on Thursday, so that will tell the tale I think.
 
Upvote 0
There was a post here somewheres about getting coin straight from the Armoured service- if ya got a fee anyways, I'd do that. I get boxes from a bank that has the family business acct (I am a signer), I openned an acct at the CU my folks use, open to public ($35 minimum), my dump bank has no minimum. HH Mark
 
Lot of bank around here have a $100 to open an account, but no minium. I just wait 2-3 days and then write a $99 check. I'll never be albe to remember where all those $1 are when I finally move. :D

HH.
 
I have never paid a fee for half dollars (or any other denom for that matter), though occasionally the topic has been brought up by different banks. In all cases where they tried to charge a fee, I passed on the order.
 
GMan00001 said:
I have never paid a fee for half dollars (or any other denom for that matter), though occasionally the topic has been brought up by different banks. In all cases where they tried to charge a fee, I passed on the order.

Same here.

I had one young a$$clown guy who is a new WF teller manager pull 3 boxes and asked for my acct. # so he could deduct the charges. I had not even ordered them! A nice teller told me she would stock boxes in case I or anyone wanted them since the demand was there. He said it was costing his branch a fortune. He said he recognized me from another branch where he used to work that I get $1000 a week from (VERY LOUDLY and accusatory, no less). He then told me that he was sure that Brinks would deliver any halves I ordered straight to my doorstep (pure ignorance). He further went on to say that business accounts are charged for coin orders and he suspected that I merely went through the boxes, picked out keepers and sent the rest to a coinstar machine (as if it was any of his concern what I do with MY money!!!).

I declined the boxes and then he said if I didn't take them that his branch would be stuck with them. I said- Too bad, they're all yours, Adios and have a great day!
He called me back and said he'd wave the fee if I took them off his hands.
I pointed out my acct. balance (greater than 10K), and told him I would never bother him again and would gladly withdraw the whole balance and cite him as the reason the account would be closed.
I was happy to have him help me haul them to my truck and have avoided that branch ever since.

My attitude was extremely polite and civil yet he made a point to make a huge scene about the whole incident. The poor tellers were very embarassed and apologetic.
The other WF branches I do order from are very cordial and we all have fun with the weekly offerings of donuts and candy I give them.

There are bad apples everywhere and I hesitate to take it further with this poke because the other branches are so good to me.
There have been a lot of recent posts about similar treatment from other WF branches here- I wonder if there is a corporate directive being circulated about coin orders from non-business acct. holders.
 
That sure does bite Ryan. Sorry to hear about that.

I haven't had to pay a fee for any boxes......yet. Fingers crossed......
 
I have only ordered one box, but my bank didn't have a problem with ordering and no fee mentioned. However it is
funny that the same branch wants to charge a 5% fee to use the coin counter (they also do not accept rolled coins so
the only way to return them is the counter), luckily another branch of the same bank has no fee and unlimited coin
return with their machine. Go figure :)

I haven't had much time to get any lately...gotta get back into the silver saddle :P

Christine
 
TXTim said:
There have been a lot of recent posts about similar treatment from other WF branches here- I wonder if there is a corporate directive being circulated about coin orders from non-business acct. holders.

I find with WF is branch to branch dependent and sometimes teller to teller dependent within a branch.

I know one WF branch I can't get a box of anything without them trying to charge a fee. Sometimes I get a few rolls there, but never much. Can you say "Dump Bank"? ;D It's one of main ones.

At other WF branches certain tellers bring up a fee but not other tellers.

And yet other WF branches I have gotten probably 50-100 or so boxes from and fees haven't even been mentioned.
 
I really don't know what to think about this because this is my normal bank. I do have a business account, but it is inactive with only $30 in it. I haven't used it in 2 years. This is the first bank I ordered the $500 box through and I had (16) 40%'ers in that box. I even bought some pennies from them and when I compare it to the other banks that I got pennies from, this bank stood out because they were double or even triple the amount of keepers. So on one hand, I want the good coins and keepers, but on the other hand, is it going to be worth it in the long run with the fees??? I think these two boxes coming in tomorrow will tell the tale. As a courtesy, I even opened a savings account at their competitor bank right next door so I could use them as a dump bank (they have a free coin counter for account holders). But again, I have to keep $100 in the savings, or I get massive fees there too. But, the more I think about this, the more I realize that if they want to play fee games, so can I. I don't want to stoop to this level, but I could very well inundate their cashiers with lots of coin and use them as my dump bank. There are no fees listed for having their cashiers spend lots of time at their change counter feeding thousands of coins through their machine. They don't have a coin counter in the lobby, so......that means that if they want me to pay $4.75 per $500 then maybe I should be using THEM as my dump bank!

And, I think I'm going to talk to the manager about these fees too. We're going to want to refinance out home here in a few years too.....hate for them to give me all these fees and lose out on a refi :P.
 
You have to watch out about dumping fees as well! When a bank no longer wants your coins, they will decide to charge fees for dumping too.

Good luck.
 
Sheldius said:
You have to watch out about dumping fees as well! When a bank no longer wants your coins, they will decide to charge fees for dumping too.
It better be in writing in their brochure or they will have a fight on their hands.
My best dump bank has it spelled out in their brochure that they will accept up to $10,000 per month in cash/coin "no charge"
 
My dump bank decided to charge 10% fee for half dollars only!!! I called this bank and asked if they had a problem with them and they said no problem so I opened a account.. Now they say fees.. Free coin counting for everyone but me!! The amour car services are flat rate deliver and pickup so WHY THE FEE!!! So I'm going to ask tommorrow if a customer brings in assorted change with half dollars in it do they charge them OR JUST ME!! A#$holes!!! >:(
 
Ryan it sounds like it is time to change banks. If you are charged $5 that eats 1/3 of your profie of 16 -40% finds. Do the math------and look for another bank that wants your business. Just MHO Gayle
 
cosmic said:
I called this bank and asked if they had a problem with them and they said no problem so I opened a account.. Now they say fees.. Free coin counting for everyone but me!!
I would talk to the person that said no fees and ask for a reason. Then ask to talk to her boss or her boss's boss.

You were told something to get your business and now they changed it. That is a verbal contract. They just reneged on a contract.

Have them show you something in a printed form detailing their coin fees. If they can come up with that rule then ask them why they told you differently. You got them over a barrel.

If they can't show you something in writing ask them why they made up that rule just for you. You still got them over a barell.

Either way you will be right. But that doesn't mean you will win. Large corporations will do whatever they want. Basically they don't care about the customer they just care about the bottom line.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom