austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You go into a bank enough times, they get to know you and they are willing to help you. I git tired of looking for my golf marker, went to my bank and asked my favorite teller if by chance she had any silver dollars. She had 6 and I bought them. I don't CRH or sell silver, so I used one for a golf marker and gave the others to students at school...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After two huge scores late May to June, I went into that bank today and plain asked the concierge if the tellers were allowed to buy silver. Yes, they are. English translation - they don't care.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to treat them right first in order for them to want to help you.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been reading several posts about hobbyists being contacted by bank tellers.....I don't know how you guys find these tellers who are willing to give up the silver???? All the tellers I know will keep the silver for themselves and gladly give me the rest.......what's up with that???

There are banks that would discipline their tellers if they tried to purchase from their drawer or from another teller.........other banks do not care..........
I've been slowly building relationships with different tellers at several banks.........
Talk to them.....ask how their day has been going.....tell them a funny story about your day (let them get to know you)......laugh with them a little. They will remember you after some time.....it really doesn't take long to get on a first name basis with most people. And, that's who tellers are........people just like you.......
If you are able to get a few items from them, take cookies or something sweet for all the tellers..........that may help you enlist one or two more to your efforts.
It's just another type of networking..........

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over many visits it becomes clear which tellers are helpful, which are culling silver and which ones don't care about it. Out of those that don't care sometimes they are willing to help you out. I bring fruit, candy and am contemplating cold water and soda this summer. I ask how they are and follow up on an illness or childbirth or sick relatives and get to know people. After a few visits I pass out my number. After a few more visits I pass it out again. If its busy I make it fast, if its slow I linger and talk. I show a picture of a buffalo nickel or an old coin I found. I find out if they've already got a person or two they save coins for and back off if I get the impression they don't want a new collector. I have never used the "s" word. I don't show I am upset when they pick the silver out right in front of you and hand you the trash. I always act happy with what they give me. I have seen a teller go from handing you a tray full of silver to researching and knowing about war nickels and 40% halves just because you come by and ask for coins. If they are apologetically out of halves I grab a roll of nickels or dimes so they still feel like they helped me. The rules vary across the board at each type of bank. I have gotten a call or two for halves but it has not directly led me to a nice score like some of the folks on here. I remain hopeful and humble and extremely competitive with the myriad of hunters in my area. That's the life

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tommy buckets: ditto to your rational thinking about tellers; I strongly agree.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm just now trying to get into this a little. Thanks for the words Tommy, I agree 100%! Even saved your post so that I can read it each time before I walk into my bank.

Used to be that way naturally, but time and a sour world have left their imprints on me. Thanks again for the post.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
It really depends on the banks you deal with... locally I have Wells Fargo and B of A near me, and have accounts with both...

I've developed a nice relationship with almost all of the Wells Fargo tellers at all 3 branches I visit regularly. The manager at one of the branches orders boxes of half dollars for me. Unfortunately for me, the tellers at that branch are smart and look through CWRs for Halves, but they're always on the watch for other coins I might be interested in... At another branch, they save the brought in CWR for me so I can buy them... the other is a smaller branch in a store which I use for my Sunday searching. All three of the branches always wish me good luck in my searching.

As for the B of A, well, mine doesn't seem to like it when you bring in rolled coins... and they won't take them if they "don't have room for" them, instead offering to ship them out and post them to your account 7 or so days later... Sorry, I don't play that game! A couple of the tellers there are friendly with me, and a couple of them are not... Also, they seem to always have a glut of brand new coins, and use LOOMIS for their bulk incoming coins... I've had very poor luck with LOOMIS compared to other packagers of coins.

There are also several smaller banks in the area, and I'm working on developing relationships with some of them.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a teller put the 40%ers she had pulled back in the roll before she sold them too me. They now have my account.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread