🥇 BANNER Banner? Bannerstone yes :)

scuba1970

Sep 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have found many broken ones but was not expecting this. We've had a lot rain and went out to a site that I've found archaic thru hopewell items on one half and this was washed out in gravel. Wasn't where I would have expected either. Was in an area where an old house site sat. I usually metal detect that area and had walked over to it to see if any marbles or bottle tops had washed out. Glad I did, next rain may have washed it into ditch.

Attachments

• image-555176116.jpg
    image-555176116.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 970
  • image-4030008898.jpg
    image-4030008898.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 605
Upvote 19
Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I clicked both links in post #33 and I'm only SORT of sure what I'm looking at here: is it the thing you slide the "arrow" through to "aim" it using some sort of "string/spring" mechanism attached to it?

I'm confused! And it's a big deal because... they all break? Unlike arrowheads?

Help a newbie to this, please, suppressing as much snark as possible if you can ;)
images.jpg
does this help?

i equate this to "corking the bat" in baseball. now a days players use cork top material inside there bats to make them lighter and easier to swing, back in the day they would put lead in to make the bat heavier all in an attempt to get more force to hit more home runs . in theory the bannerstone was used as a counterweight to get more force to throw there spears.

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice piece of history, glad to see it recovered . Congratulations on a most excellent find.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your amazing find Scuba and for making the BANNER!!! :occasion14:

Dave

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If anything deserves a banner vote, that does. Don't soak it in anything! That's a very valuable piece and a rare find.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Okay, I clicked both links in post #33 and I'm only SORT of sure what I'm looking at here: is it the thing you slide the "arrow" through to "aim" it using some sort of "string/spring" mechanism attached to it?

I'm confused! And it's a big deal because... they all break? Unlike arrowheads?

Help a newbie to this, please, suppressing as much snark as possible if you can ;)

Here you go; it's a weight to provide greater thrust when used with an atlatl.
DocBeav and Wyoming Valley Relics left great links, these photos may help convey the idea to you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spear-thrower

http://basketmakeratlatl.com/?page_id=418

Awesome find.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

saltednuts

Feb 12, 2011
york county, penn.
Detector(s) used
presently garrett gta 1000 , fisher cz5 and now a fisher cz21 10.5" coil and vibra=quatic 2 pinpointer add another cz21
try teak oil on a small spot see what it does I use it on deer antlers that have been bleached by sun it works great don't know if it will work or not but it brings bones back from the dead great find

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't know if I would on that piece, but I am a fan of coating things in mineral oil to keep that 'wet' look. I've heard it's a very stable oil and doesn't react with things generally. Something to look into. Congrats on the find of a few lifetimes!

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing find very nice real find, ppl ought to look at the real patina on that one and compare it to the so called real ones on the market. Congrats...

OP
OP
scuba1970

scuba1970

Sep 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the thumbs up and making my banner a banner :) this is my first quartz piece I've ever found besides broken chunks of quartz so wondered about finish of it. I wish were shiny but know if was probably would have been broken which would be my luck. I wonder also if what farmer uses on field effects surface? Sure it does to some extent. I've metal detected coins from same area that are covered in hard deposits.. Mostly silver coins and the copper coins are almost all but destroyed

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mineral oil can be cleaned off with hot water or after some time will go back to normal state , won't hurt anything but can make it pretty or uglier

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have found many broken ones but was not expecting this. We've had a lot rain and went out to a site that I've found archaic thru hopewell items on one half and this was washed out in gravel. Wasn't where I would have expected either. Was in an area where an old house site sat. I usually metal detect that area and had walked over to it to see if any marbles or bottle tops had washed out. Glad I did, next rain may have washed it into ditch.

A very interesting find. Which brings back a memory from around 1980 or so. I was 14 and walked down to a friend's farm down the road [from our farm] and had discovered that their house was built on or around an Indian campground. So off we went looking for arrowheads and buried Indian Treasure. My buddy found one similar to yours but only in that it was drilled. Otherwise the shape was a Stealth Bomber or flying wing. I should call him to see if he still has it as it would be good to compare lower Michigan artifacts with others found in the same "area". It was quite a large piece I remember thinking...

... come to think of it I remember being perplexed looking into the "drilled" hole [and seeing "threads"]. I couldn't reconcile in my mind today's technology/drill bits with the fantastical imaginations of the past of the Indians making stuff without that technology.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread