🥇 BANNER Banner? Bannerstone yes :)

scuba1970

Sep 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have found many broken ones but was not expecting this. We've had a lot rain and went out to a site that I've found archaic thru hopewell items on one half and this was washed out in gravel. Wasn't where I would have expected either. Was in an area where an old house site sat. I usually metal detect that area and had walked over to it to see if any marbles or bottle tops had washed out. Glad I did, next rain may have washed it into ditch.

Attachments

• image-555176116.jpg
    image-555176116.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 970
  • image-4030008898.jpg
    image-4030008898.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 605
Upvote 19

s.tan

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's fantastic and I love it, but still don't know what it is! Please? You guys are killing me here.

Like you, I didn't know what a bannerstone was but here's what I found out.

"Archaeologists have agonized for a long time over the use of banner stones. Some have offered that they are atlatl weights or ceremonial pieces. Others have suggested that they are for drilling, cordage making, or fire making. Robert S. Berg’s theory proposed that they are part of a kit of tools used to make and repair atlatl darts. Berg’s theory has met with a lot of skepticism and resistance because of the previous works of William S. Webb, who proposed that the bannerstone was actually part of an atlatl. "

Regardless of its function, it is a beautiful artifact!

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow sweet atlatl weight.. Im getting a banner just looking at it lol....one of the best i have ever seen ..banner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:occasion14:

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once in a lifetime find if you are lucky enough, banner

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please excuse my ignorance too - but what are we looking at here ?? I read the part about hand made by Native Americans , but
does everybody just know what this is and what it's function was ?

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
That is a killer find. I know you were on cloud nine! In what part of the country did you find it?

OP
OP
scuba1970

scuba1970

Sep 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys:) Found in IL close to St Louis MO. I can't put down and been carrying around basically since found. I've been lucky and found quite a few broken ones, one unfinished one and one other complete that was whole but sold it a few years ago. Have always dreamed of finding a quartz one.

Last edited:

ClovisOak

Jul 11, 2012
Chicagoland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Bounty Hunter, Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful piece, could always put it back in some wet dirt to get the color back and then let me know the GPS coordinates. Just kidding :laughing7: I always feel that a flint artifact find is always prettiest when it first comes out of the dirt and feel that it is more accurate to what it looked like when it was first found. Looking at the pictures again it looks like it might have some tally marks or indentations along the ridge. Almost looks like a spinal column. Find some more!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a fantastic find! :hello2: Glad it made the banner. :thumbsup:

HH

oakhunter27

Mar 25, 2010
ohio
One in a lifetime find nice bannerstone

Sent from my SCH-S738C using TreasureNet in the middle of a field somewhere

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Bannerstone. Have yet find one. Lifetime find in that condition. Thanks for the PICS!

OP
OP
scuba1970

scuba1970

Sep 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again guys. Got a question, I've had points change color too once dried out and have always left as is but is there anything can do besides store in water to make bright again? Maybe oil? Don't get me wrong one of my best pieces EVER but it went from being beautiful amber to dull. All other quartz I look at online are bright and shiny.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That dull is the patina of age. I would leave it be. You got great in situ pictures and can always wet it when you want to show it. But I would not put anything not natural on it. Very nice find on a pretty uncommon hunting tool.
Congratulations.

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay, I clicked both links in post #33 and I'm only SORT of sure what I'm looking at here: is it the thing you slide the "arrow" through to "aim" it using some sort of "string/spring" mechanism attached to it?

I'm confused! And it's a big deal because... they all break? Unlike arrowheads?

Help a newbie to this, please, suppressing as much snark as possible if you can ;)

Ole # 7

Feb 13, 2014
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Eclipse 9.5 concentric, Eclipse DD 6x10, Bullseye TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know if things like this are found in Michigan? I'd LOVE to find something like that!!!

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
id say they are ole#7,you may find one made of copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread