What's new

Bannerstones

OldJerseyGirl

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2013
Messages
585
Reaction score
901
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone found any whole bannerstones? I have three half ones, but have never found a whole one. I will get them out tomorrow and take a picture. One is a beauty. Wish it were not broken in half.
 
Upvote 0
None in this thread are anywhere close to a chipped Archaic axe. These are definitely mostly Bannerstones with the exception of Kevin From In. He has one that possibly is a Flared bit Anchor Pendant in one of his photo's.......
Well I'll have to agree to disagree. The link was not meant in any way to sidetrack the original post just to show where my perspective is coming from as to what I think Gators artifact is. No big deal either way (I'd be happy to find it)and not trying to argue just learn but I don't recall ever seeing a banner of any kind made from rhyolite. I have ate crow before to-Sam
 
Well I'll have to agree to disagree. The link was not meant in any way to sidetrack the original post just to show where my perspective is coming from as to what I think Gators artifact is. No big deal either way (I'd be happy to find it)and not trying to argue just learn but I don't recall ever seeing a banner of any kind made from rhyolite. I have ate crow before to-Sam
SCrocks, Gator and I traded a few pieces awhile back. I sent him the piece in question as an axe. I did have uncertainties about this piece, however. I had studied the piece for a couple of years and decided to pass that study along. Gator tossed the idea of it being a banner preform back at me. If you were to hold the piece, you would see Gator's theory has weight. As you mentioned, rhyolite isn't a common lithic for banner stones. The lithic is the only factor that remains that causes question for me. If this piece were quartzite, I'd say its 100% no doubt a banner stone. With that, the mystery remains. By the way, I like your link. GTP, you know I value your word. I just can't think all of those pieces in the link are banners. Just my view.
 
Here's what I've picked up. All but one Kosciusko co. One piece Huntington co. Really enjoyed this thread, it's all good. I just can't be convinced that these large winged banners were all atl atl weights. What's everyones thoughts on this?View attachment 949163View attachment 949164View attachment 949166View attachment 949168View attachment 949169View attachment 949170View attachment 949171View attachment 949172View attachment 949173View attachment 949177
I am also not convinced that all of these drilled hole, and usually polished, artifacts are atlatl weights. I think some could have been just ornaments. When I showed the unfinished one that I found last year to a friend who is not that familiar with prehistoric artifacts, his first comment was " what is that, one of those rocks the Indians used to hold their fire starter friction sticks with?". I thought that was an interesting observation and question. Not that I think these " bannerstones" were really used for that purpose, but it makes me wonder what the pre historic peoples did use as a " bushing" to hold the upper end of their bow style fire starter sticks with? Does anyone know of, or have any rocks that would suit that purpose, or do you think they may have been primarily made from bone or wood?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom