2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 413
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 419
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 418
I just saw one sold on ebay $195.00 MS63. Your's has a scratch on the cheek which will probably negatively afffect it's value, but, other than that it is in really good shape.

yeah, without the cleaning and damage it would probably have been a nice Extremely Fine.

It is tough to say, the price quides list values for problem free coins. In XF my Coin World values magazine lists it at $225, this is a retail price. I would guess maybe 20% reduction with the cleaning.

The Grey Sheet lists generic Barber halves in EX Fine for Bid 115.00/Ask 125.00. Yours appears Ex Fine, but as mentioned by someone else it has been harshly cleaned which will reduce the value a bit.

Very nice coin, I would say easy XF .. almost AU .....
except for the cleaning and the scratch/nick on the cheek .. and the rim dings.

But I bet it might sell well on ebay .. maybe $150 .. would depend it there were others listed that were better.

Good example why not to clean a coin.

I personally would pay melt for it, not a cent more. Carry it my pocket for a few months and then put it away. But thats just me. Cleaned coins aren't worth much to me, unless its a major key.

ILLINOISDOUG

I hope our kidding, I am sure if you had that coin you would want much more than melt.
That coin has great detail, and it's not like they are making any more 1903 Barber halves.
I know quite a few honest dealers that would give many times melt. In fact if you have any
in that condition I will give you twice melt for all you have.

I don't sell any "found" coins. Those are put away. I would pass on buying this coin because it is now a problem coin. I can buy better examples and pay the premium for a "non" problem coin. Honesty, though I would maybe pay two or three times melt. $10-15, but I'd rather find a nice original AU and spend the money for a good looking coin. Thats just me. Now on the other hand, if this coin wasnt't harshly clean, I would spend 1.5 to 2 times the fair market price, just for the fact that this coin had not seen the light of day for a hundred years

Coinman,
Did your friend really clean the coin? The marks on the cheak look like bag marks to me. And the other minimal hairlines look like they might have been caused by dirt rubbing against the coin as it came out of the ground. I don't know how these guys get "harshly cleaned." To me that would mean somebody used a Brillo pad on the coin or something. In short, I agree with you. It's one of the nicest Barber Halves I've seen to come out of the ground.
Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back